Cherry Blossoms 2009

Washington Travel Blog

I've been "living" near DC for almost three years now.  I have never been in town during the spring, and have always wanted to go see the Cherry Blossoms.  Given my track record of 1 out of 3 springs here, I decided that I had to go this year.

I was meeting up a friend of mine down my the Smithsonian exit, which meant that I had to switch trains at the metro center.  As I got off my train and made my way downstairs, I had flashbacks of Obama's inauguration.  There was no way I was going to make the train that was waiting, so I found a spot to stand as people kept streaming down the stairs.  The next train arrived 15 minutes later and as people piled in, it was apparent that I was going to miss this train too (the train door even closed on a man walking through with his child- I think they were ok).  The third train came...empty!  So I was on my way again.

I met my friend and we started walking around and it was pretty crowded.  I know the cherry blossoms are a big attraction, but you could barely walk around the basin because everyone was there with cameras constantly stopping in the way of everyone else.  The blossoms are really amazing to see, but I would recommend not making a special trip.  It's one of those things to experience if you actually live here, but not worth a special trip to just fight through the crowds of tourists (just my humble opinion).
photo by: b93sp