My thoughts on New York. Sights, walking, food and paranoia

New York Travel Blog

Wow! Was my first thought when i saw Manhattan appear out of the darkness from the plane. Flying into New ark airport i got a full view of Manhattans glory as we soared into the country. This was my first time in America at all and it was an awesome first sight. On the bus to my hotel i got another awesome view which had me very excited. Especially after the harsh and scary entry to the country.

The city its self is amazing. Quite stereotypical with hot dog stands everywhere and 20 yellow cabs a road, star bucks and mcdonalds everywhere and electronic advertisements everywhere. But i obviously did not go to point out stereotypes but to indulge on as much of the amazing sights and experiences this urban jungle could offer.

The views from the Empire state building was some of the best ive seen.
The buildings seem to all grow around each other, like there in competition. The architects seems to just try and make the sky scrapers taller than the ones next to them. The views are also well worth it at night as the city changes as you can see in my photos.

Ice skating, Ellis island, the U.N building, ground zero, the gallery's, the food, the shopping and all the famous land marks make New York a very worth while trip. How ever . . .

I couldn't help feel that i was always being watched. On entering the country i felt as if i was not trusted. Like i was out there to hurt people. There no trust for out siders, In nearly every building you are scanned, searched, have your photo and finger prints taken and it almost feels as if big brother is watching me like in George Orwell's 1984.
All acept the memorial museum for 9/11.

How ever saying that the people in New York which i met where generally really friendly. They all loved my British terminologies and found it hysterical when i asked where i could get a cup of tea and a scone. Obviously most of the drivers talk with their horns and there is never a time when you cannot hear a horn somewhere. Especially as this city truly does never sleep. The traffic is constant and so are the horns but i suppose this is all part of the New York experience.

Any body interested in architecture or urban life should make a trip to New York at least ten times in their life as there is so much to see.

And that concludes my short general thought on the city which is New York.
geokid says:
Nice blog!!! I am glad you had a good time.
Posted on: Feb 18, 2009