A Trip to Rohtas Fort Near Jehlum

Jehlum Travel Blog

Roof of Rani Mahal

Here I would like to share my visit of Rohtas Fort in January 30, 2007. Here is some historical aspects of this fort . Rohtas fort was built by Afghan Emperor named Sher Shas Suri who defeated Mughal Emperor Humayun. For your kind informationHumayun was great grandfather of ShahJehan who had built Taj Mahal in Agra India.

Sher Shah constructed Rohtas Fort to block Emperor Humayun's return to India after defeating him in the Battle of Kanauj.

Kabuli Gate
This fort lies on the old GT road between the North(Afghanistan) to the Plains of Punjab. It blocked the way from Peshawar to Lahore. The other reason was to suppress the local tribe of this region Potohar called Gakhars who were allies of Humayun and refused their allegiance to Sher Shah Suri. The Emperor instructed the local Janjua Rajput tribe to help construct the fort to crush the Gakhars. The Fort was built by Todar Mal under orders of Sher Shah.

Rohtas Fort is situated in a gorge approximately 16 km NW of Jhelum and 7 km from Dina. It was constructed on a hillock where the tiny Kahan River meets another rainy stream called Parnal Khas and turns east towards Tilla Jogian Range. The fort is about 300 feet above its surroundings. It is 2660 feet (818 meters) above sea level and covers an area of 12.63 acres. There are 12 gates of this fort which are Sohail Gate, Shah Chandwali Gate, Kabuli Gate, Shishi Gate, Langar Khani Gate, Talaqi Gate, Mori or Kashmiri Gate, Khwas Khani Gate, Gatali Gate, Tulla Mori Gate, Pipalwala Gate and Sar Gate

Me and my 9 friends went to Rohtas fort .

Mosque
We hired a Toyota Hiace. It took our two hours to reach there. We have keen interest to see this magnificent fort. We purchased entry tickets and entered in the fort. First we went to Rani Mahal (Queens palace). The view of fort from the roof of Rani Mahal was very good. After this we went to see the Baoli’s of the fort. Baoli means step well. The temperature inside these wells was very low. We were feeling cold inside. Now the mosque which was situated within the boundary walls of this fort is not used for worship.

When we reached at Langar Khani gate we saw a building outside the fort we friends decided to go there. For reaching there we had to go down. It seemed an easy way but it was not. After reaching there we came to know this was the tomb of a lady called Khair Un Nisa. She was the daughter of the food minister named Qadir Bukhsh. She died here and was buried in this tomb but she was later moved to Sasaram, Bihar now in India.

Inside the fort they have constructed a small museum here we can find the weapons used by the soldiers and some other things. The best part of this whole visit was running on the fortified walls of this fort and the interesting place visit that gate which was constructed for enterance of war elephants.

Fakz says:
No this fort not situated in North West. This is in central Punjab
gejah says:
It is north west of Pakistan? Or am i mistaken?? I hope so. because it is very beautiful
Fakz says:
Why this part is not able to visit?
Rani Mahal
Fortified Walls of Fort
Dome of Mehr un Nisa Tomb
Dome of Mehr un Nisa Tomb
Good
Good
Victors Of Dome
Victors Of Dome