"We are sailing, we are sailing, across the water...."

Whitsunday Islands Travel Blog

Emma and I on Whitehaven Beach.

Just had a 2 night, 2 day sailing trip on the boat SV Whitehaven. There were 19 of us in total. On the first day we sailed (or rather motored as no wind) out to sea to a place where we could snorkel. Was great, quite a lot of fish and some huge sea turtles which you could swim down and touch. they were amazing, I had no idea they would be so big. After this it was tea and biscuits on board to warm up as we sailed to the place we would spend the night. Stopped in a nice calm bay which was good as everyone was definately finding there sea legs when we got on! Dinner cooked by the crew was spag bol which was very nice and then a couple of drinks with our fellow passengers before a very early night as we had got the overnight bus up to Airlie Beach the day before so pretty tired!

On day 2 we were up early for breakfast and the boat set off for Whitehaven beach.

Our boat, the SV Whitehaven
Spent about 3 hours on the beach, was absolutely beautiful. Had such fine sand that was apparently used for the Hubble telescope. Got to the beach on the dingy and there were only a few of us in ours so we did some James Bond esq swoops in the water. Played a bit of beach rounders and introduced the rest of the group to our version of frisbee. After the beach a spot of lunch on board before hoisting the sails and heading to our next snorkling destination. Jumped off the boat. All wearing very fetching stinger suits incase of jellyfish- catwomen here we come! Was a really pretty reef and saw some huge fish, some such electric colours. Also saw a giant clam which was funny looking. Then we sailed again to where we sleep for the night. Green curry for dinner (memories of thailand) and a few drinks and games with everyone.
Sunset.
Played some boat olympics which were funny. Slept well again, getting used to the rocking.

Day 3 and early rise for the last snorkel. Out of bed and straight into the sea after a hastily swallowed cup of tea. Similar to yesterday but when we came back to the boat they fed the fish around us and these big Bat fish were eating all around us, one tried my arm- not quite as nice as bread!

Back on land we had a day chilling out (still rocking as though on the boat) before meeting with the rest of our crew for a night out. Was lots of fun. Went to an Irish bar with a great liv band where some of us stayed dancing all night!

The 7 of us on the boat.
The 7 of us on the boat.
Looking good in the Stinger Suits!
Looking good in the Stinger Suits!
Feeding the Bat Fish- I think Im …
Feeding the Bat Fish- I think I'm…
Whitsunday Islands