Bangkok Travel Blog

 › entry 16 of 69 › view all entries

Arrived in Bangkok at 5.30am (everyone's favourite time to arrive in a new city). Tried to find a place to stay but nothing really open so had some breakfast and waited a while and eventually found somewhere.

Took a little tuk tuk tour to see big standing budha and a Wat and also witha  stop at a tailors, we agreed to this on the premise that we wouldn't buy anything. Were in there a while as Matt considered it but left empty handed.

In the afternoon we headed to the huge Chatuchak weeked market. Walked a while to get to skytrain to get there but eventually this nice lady gave us a lift (turns out we weren't exactly heading in the right direction) to the skytrain and we got there eventually. The market is huge and sells everything. Despite Dad's warning not to buy a dog (of which there was every type) I was very tempted as the puppies were so cute! Customs may have been a problem though!


Walked to see all the temples today, saw Wat Pho with the huge reclining budha which is 15m tall, really impressive. Also Visited the Grand Palace and Emerald Budha and Wat Arun. Every temple we went to a tuktuk driver would lie to us and tell us it was shut and that we should take his tour and come back later, then we'd walk round the corner and it would be open! Luckily we didn't fall for it. However, we weren't so lucky with the bird seed people who poured bird feed into our hands to throw to the pigeons for luck, there seemed to be nothing to do but throw it even though we knew they would then demand money. They asked for 150BT! I managed to just give them a hundred but had still been completely ripped off, I guess it had to happen once! Later we took a boat trip down the canels, apparently it used to be called the venice of the east. Amazing to see the houses on stilts, some look like they are falling down then next to them is some really nice ones, a real mix!


Today I met up with Connie from Canada who is coming to my teaching placement too. Matt went to the airport to fly to Sydney. Connie and I looked around Bangkok, some of the things Mat and I had seen and some more shopping!


More sightseeing today and then this evening we got the night train to Nong Khai. It was a lot better than I expected, all had our own bed so slept most of the way.

Emily says:
Hey cat hope you are ok and not getting too sunburnt love u ltos sound like your having a great time love u
emx xxxxxxxxxxxx
Posted on: Feb 09, 2006
Laurabob says:
hey cat, thanks for my postcard too looks beautiful have fun teaching love lots xx
Posted on: Feb 08, 2006
Rachael says:
hey cat poo! thank you so much for my postcard! I really hope you're looking foward to teaching and you get there ok. lots of love and lessons, rachie xxx
Posted on: Feb 05, 2006
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: Deats