Marathon, TX to Fort Davis, TX via Big Bend National Park, 4/12+13

Fort Davis Travel Blog

Marathon, TX to Big Bend National Park then on to Fort Davis, TX

Warm and calm morning.  We topped off the gas in Marathon and headed south to Big Bend Park.  We again saw the Border Patrol cars in the area and traffic going north was stopped for vehicle checks at one point.  The drive today has been beautiful.  The desert cacti are in bloom.  Not full but surely enough to see the wonder of what water and heat can produce.  We stopped at an info spot and read about how the area millions of years ago was under water with marsh lands and animals roaming about.  It is very hard to visualize that with the dryness that we see today.  We drove to the Boquills Canyon for our first glimpse of the Rio Grande River.  Awesome area.

Decided to stop early to get a spot in the RV Park.  Only 4 spots left.  We did the right thing.

April 13

Very warm night to try to sleep!  We were happy to start on our way again heading towards Chisos Basin and a fabulous lunch at the restaurant there.  They have the best Pecan Cobbler a spoon can dish up.  We drove down to the Santa Elena Canyon and I took the opportunity to tip toe into the Rio Grande and took a picture of my toes in it.  With great restraint I didn’t cross the Rio like I did the Mississippi last year.  I thought it more prudent to stay on my own side of the river.  LOL  The river is very silty, with muddy banks and lots of green cottonwood about.  I was also surprised to see sandy banks along the river.  Very windy and dusty.

One of the views we enjoyed were the desert flowers in bloom.  I have always heard how beautiful it is and heartily agree.  I know in another month or so it will look very different.

We took 118 out of the park and went right up to Fort Davis.  Miles of dry prairie cattle ranching once we were out of the Park.  We stopped at the historic Prude Ranch (now a RV Park and cabins) to make sure we had a spot for the night then headed up the mountain to the McDonald Observatory.  They have a Star Party Pass that introduces you to the many wonders of the night sky, including the opportunity to view some celestial objects through telescopes. The skies were just brilliant with stars; there was not a moon or any city/town lights to interfere with the real show of the stars.  Delightful program though very cold and windy.  Dave was really shivering before the program was over.  We turned both the van and RV heaters on to get warm on the drive back to the RV Park.

Shell Gas @ Marathon, TX ---$3.19