Back to Asia

Bangkok Travel Blog

Its strange to be back in Asia. The smell was the first thing that hit me. Then the feeling of familiarity. This morning I got woken up by the recycling truck collecting the bottles and then I really knew I was in

Asia again! We need visas for China and thanks to my brilliant googling I found that you can get a visa for almost any Asian country from a travel agent who will do all the leg work for you. So for a few extra baht we gave  our passports to our travel agent in the morning and later that day we had visas for China, no hectic tuk tuk rides or running around looking for embassies and waiting in long lines, instead we spent the day at the woraburi rooftop pool and sat in the sun, got drunk and played scrabble.

The woraburi is a good deal, breakfast is plentiful and the buffet has lots of options, the rooms are basic but clean enough. When you're stuck in Bangkok waiting for a visa though, the rooftop pool is a major asset, it was the first time I've enjoyed waiting for a visa in a big smelly city. The trouble is the woraburi is at the end of soi 4 so its a walk through the red light district to get to the hotel (the hotel itself is in a quiet part of the street away from the noise) and it posed a problem in finding a good bar to drink in which wasnt full of old foreign men and young thai girls. However that night we found a really nice street, soi 11, it has some lovely restaurants, the one at the end of the soi is like a treehouse and is covered in vines. The bars down this street have a much nicer vibe for female tourists so when we return to Bangkok we know exactly where to head to.

Bangkok