When the Spirit Wakes

Findhorn Travel Blog

People Carrier

Yesterday was the first day of Eco Village Training at the Findhorn Foundation in Scotland.  When the Findhorn people carrier drove us on to the site, I could immeditely feel my spirits rising.   I have such great memories in this place from Experience week and the Positive Energy Conference last year.  Right now I am buzzing with enthusiasm at 6am.  Usually I am a haze till at least nine am.

To begin the program, we met our new family for the month in a large cirlce of 34 people.  There was a candle in the center as the focal point of the group, representing light, hope and spirit.  We started with an energizing song with pounding on the floor and singing african lyrics.  "Aye Tikki tikki, aye eh!!!  thump thump, pat pat , clap clap!    We even clapped on the legs of the people beside us.
Get to know the participants
  It was a clear contrast to the HANDS OFF culture of an office.  There is something so uplifting about such a simple game.  Everyone was laughing and getting out the new group jitters.

The people running the course are called focalizers because they help to hold the space but are not be be put above the group in the psychyological hierarchy.  Craig has lived and breathed Findhorn for 40 years.  He has a calm and affirmative personality that puts me at ease.  Gabrielle is a young woman who was born into the Findhorn Community and she was a bit nervous but still also has the presence of a good group faciliator.

When we arrived we could see a great picture board had been put up with all the participants of Eco Village Training.
Grassy roof
  This helps us all to learn eachother's names and helps us feel welcome in the community.   We had a quick tour of "The Park" and were shown our accomidations.  Dave and I are sharing a room in the 'Guest Lodge' which is a one story wooden building with a grass covered roof.  There are eight guest rooms and a shared kitchen and four communially shared bathrooms.  The interior has just been updated so it is all very clean and crisp.   Once we were settled in our room,  in we went to the community center for a large buffet style vegetarian lunch.  All the food looks and tastes really good.  We stuffed ourselves a little and I realized at the end, I should have lfet room for dessert!

The last part of the organized day was a group sharing time.  SO each person introduced himself or herself in two minutes, with a focus on emotions and hopes for the course.  Some people were already emotionally overwhelmed just to experience this.  30 people in a circle each giving the others their full attention while we talk about who we are and how we feel.   Actually that is quite a rare and powerful experience right there.  By the end of the session there was a feeling of trust building in the group and openness of everyone really wanting to learn, share and enjoy the month ahead.

Today we are looking forward to circle dancing to help the group gel and have fun together!  I feel totally awake and alive!

Peace!

Kara
juliestonehouse says:
Sounds awesome so far Chab!! Glad you and Dave are enjoying your first stop on your trip.

Love Jules