A pilgrim stop in Montpelier

Montpelier Travel Blog

Megan on the Main

I always wanted to stop by in Montpelier, the Capital of Vermont. I had been so closed so many times before but yet never went. So at White River Junction we decided to make a detour through the I89 and actually go to Montepelier before heading back through the countryside road to the I91 as matter to cross the border at Derby-Stanstead.

But before that:

- We decided to hit the road very early for both reason to be able to make it to the border during the same day and avoid any rush hour that may occur around New York. So around 5am ish we left Jersey City and started heading north on the west side of the Hudson, following the Pallissade Highway. The view on Upper Manhattan from that road, while the city was still asleep and plunged in darkness was simply amazing.

Montpelier City Hall
We stopped by to make a few pictures of it (on the NY post) before continuing our route.

- We kept going like that until the cheapest bridge crossing eastward at Westpoint, there again we crossed right as dawn was rising and got a great view on the Upper Hudson from the panorama set at the top of this rocky hill crossing. A few more driving and we finally reached the Interstate back heading toward Hartford, Connecticut which was just a short sightseeing from the car.

- We also drove by a sign saying there was the Iwo Jima monument in Connecticut so we obviously made a stop before continuing our route. The funny thing was that this monument picturing the famous photograph of World War Two (see other post) had all the name of the soldier involved.

Montpelier Main Street
.. and many of them were from French Canadian origins.

It was not long before we crossed into Massachussetts, which was also not a long drive. We simply stop by the last Rest Stop before Vermont for relaxing a bit and buying a few things. There we could still feel that Spring had made its ways.

Montpelier was also a short stop, we walked the High Street, saw the little Capitol and had our food at Subway but overal I did love the town, just as I expected. Although, now you could feel that Winter was still holding it's place... and that really for the first time of the journey.

The route toward the I91 was curvy and mountainous and snow was still present but how amazing was the view on the White Mountains. At some point, we even got a clear sight of Mt Washington.

We finally reached the border as it was getting dark, Megan made her last phone call as we approached to let her mother know and share her enthusiasm of crossing the northern border and entering in Quebec for the first time. All went rather troublefree to my surprise and it was not long after, we were driving on the A55 toward Sherbrooke.

Montpelier Main Street View