The grand departure

Sherbrooke Travel Blog

Megan by the fire at Eric's

This was the grand departure,

We moved out of our flat in Quebec city on July first, the conventional grand moving day in Quebec as all rental contracts end that day. Megan and I still had a couple weeks of work to do, she went to stay with her friends in downtown Quebec and I went to my parents to be closer to work. So our last week end in Quebec went by while still rushing to store all our furnitures in my parents basement and start to pack our bags for the long journey.

I finished my job on the 14th, so luckily I was more ready in terms of my bag but there was a lot to go through with the paperwork and the administration as I might not be back for over a year (tax and all). I got most of it done, rushing from one office to a bank to a lot of other things to be done online.

Judith and Eric at home
I also went to get Megan on Saturday and we had our last meal in the city at Chez Victor before heading back home (and having a few more lunch at our local Lac-Sergent snack bar whom reopened after a decade!)

We were suppose to hit the road on Monday and maybe just drive as far as we could into the US, but we had not really contacted anyone for the journey yet... and Megan still had a lot of things to get done (hence the pressure and the prone moment for arguments). So we postponed it to Tuesday, and we would still stop for the night in Sherbrooke then after I contacted Eric. So I will get to see how is life and talk a little bit more before continuing southward the following day.

On Tuesday, there was still a lot to be done and we were running way behind on schedule.

The raccoons visitors part 1
We usually were suppose to hit the road early but finally, we didn't leave until my mother came back from work to be able to say goodbye one last time. In that matter we arrived way later in the evening at Eric's place after a quick 3h drive. He know lives out of Lennoxville, so we had to find the place... and sadly we also missed having Dinner with Judith and him. We spent the evening talking around a fire in the backward until some little creature came to visit and took my attentions for pictures.

Raccoons came by in the dark but were not really bothered by us at all... until someone tried to chase them away, but they did come back. So I grabbed my camera and got some cliche as I could.

We slept well that night, it was also great to meet Eric and see how things had changed positively for him.

The raccoons visitors part 2
He looked like having a lot of energy, good vibes and things were good for him in the region, workwise and all. I really enjoyed the fact that we kept in touch despite the distance. I hope things will keep strengthening all well for him.

The following morning, we were up early to hit the road and say goodbye to Eric before he went to work. We had thought about managing to drive all the way to Albany by the morning and maybe look to have lunch at a CS friend I stayed at nearby that owns a dinner and possibly stop in Rosendale to relax a bit and meet John again... then we would probably have tried to spend the night close to Delaware. That plan failed as we got delayed heading toward the border as we hit little road to cross more near NY State rather than into Vermont as matter to reach the I87 faster. At the end we did from Cowansville to Lacolle on side road, but also did a quick sightseeing around the Richelieu River which had had historical floods a few months earlier.

So we crossed at a little border post near Odelltown without trouble and quickly hit the Interstate to get back with lost time...

Megan by the fire at Erics
Megan by the fire at Eric's