Easter at the Maple Sugar Shack

Saint-Basile Travel Blog

Family eating Maple Taffy on Snow

By mid-April, the Spring season was advanced enough for the maple trees sap to start running. So it was the time for the Sugar Shack at my uncle. Like every year, it is the time for a family reunion and we just enjoy food drinks and lot of maple product while sharing time with uncles, aunts and cousin. For Megan it was her first time, and since my family is rather big, well it was rather overwhelming for her.

It was for a her a cultural and language crash course, as she got handled food, liquor and talked to in French by all my family.

It was also the time to introduce her to how and where maple syrup is from and done.

We had a lovely day at the cabin. Another opportunity we got, was to actually get a real poutine from the Snack Bar, as spring and Easter came by, Ti-Oui opened for the season and that was lovely.

Eating Maple Taffy on Snow
I had already introduced the poutine from Ashton but the real treat is one from just these little road side shack.

We spent the rest of April in Quebec, went to a few CS meetings whenever we got the chance (not often at all) but mainly we relaxed at my parents home, drove a lot around Portneuf and Jacques-Cartier discovering the landscape and some villages as we saw the snow melt quickly with the heat and the sun coming by stronger. Of course, all the time we spent was not yet dry enough to start hiking in the forest so the visit involved more driving somewhere or just around town.

A few of the pictures taken in the following posts are all from villages or the countryside surrounding Quebec City.

By the end of April, we started to look forward to move back to Kansas as matter to be there for the graduation ceremony of Megan's brother.

Preparing Maple treats
I also had received no positive feedback from job application so I had nothing holding me or no plans coming forward about where we could settle down. I had applied for enforcement and planning jobs around the province and even Ontario or BC.

Now we started considering about going back to Kansas spend some time there (still applying for job) but possibly going to Portland where Megan would have work for the summer. And maybe I could go up to Vancouver to try to work for the summer... or we might after that simply move on our working-holiday visa to Australia.

We packed the car and prepared our journey by early May. We first would go visit my family near Ottawa then continue across Ontario to then drive down toward Kansas.

Keeping an Eye on the Boiling Sap
Keeping an Eye on the Boiling Sap
Firing the Boiler
Firing the Boiler
Eating Maple Taffy on Snow
They are eating Yellow snow??
They are eating Yellow snow??
Sap Boiler