route to Wells Gray

Clearwater Travel Blog

Yesterday was a bit of a boring day. We first enjoyed our private facilities in the Glacier View RV Park. We’ve been alone there since arriving the afternoon before.  We had planned to drive to Wells Gray so there’s a lot of ground to cover. It drizzled the whole day driving on Hwy 16 through towns with names like Houston, Burns Lake, Tintagel and Vanderhoof, most of them just a name on the map, no more than a few houses. Late in the afternoon we reach Prince George, here we turn south on Hwy 97 and find a campground to spend the night.

This morning, after we said goodbye to the nice owner who was our host last night we continue on the Hwy 97. My finger on the map follows the road down: Woodpecker, Cinema, Australian, Marguerite, Gibraltar, Enterprise, Windy Mouth and lunch in 100 Mile House. I just love this, I could spend hours just staring at the names on a roadmap. We continue to Clearwater and then turn north to Wells Gray Provincial Park. It is late in the afternoon when we get at the entrance. There are great views over the surrounding mountains and valleys as the road slightly ascends. We have chosen the last campground in the park the Clearwater Lake Campground. This is 68 Kilometers from Clearwater. We decide to take it easy the rest of this afternoon and do some hiking tomorrow while driving back down again.

marg_eric says:
you are so right! grz. Marg
Posted on: Jul 06, 2009
cocottedepolliat says:
I loved wells gray, it's so wild and I could stay many hours to see the waterfalls, maybe my favourite place in my canadian trip!! Jasper and Banff are very (too much) touristic.....
Posted on: Jul 06, 2009