Victoria Travel Blog

I would like to thank all of you who sent your prayers and thoughts to those who lost so much last month in the devastating Victorian bushfires. I also wanted to let you know the fires are out and the people of Victoria can now start to rebuild their lives.

Although it may be possible to replace the buildings, bricks and mortar will not replace the lives of the 211 people lost or fill the whole left in the lives of their loved ones. It will not help heal the people still recovering in hospital or bring back the communities that have been razed to the ground, and it can do nothing to replace the millions of wild animals who perished.

I am proud that Australians together raised  millions of dollars, the appeal is still ongoing so we wont know the total amount for some time. The employees of the company I work for donated a staggering AUD$240,500.00, which the company matched dollar for dollar to give to the victims of the fires. I have never felt so proud of the generosity of the people of my country. How it fills my heart to know that in these tough times people can still find it in their hearts to give to others, people who seemed to have nothing to give still managed to give something.

So thank you Australia and thank you again those of you here on TravBuddy who sent their best wishes. My thoughts are still with those whose lives have been devastated by loss and I wish them all the best for the future.

hummingbird50 says:
Wow Elke...you can always find goodness in adversity...what you just said spoke volumes!!!
It can be very humbling to see and feel just what people can do....when times are at their worst!!!
Thanks for sharing this story Elke:)
Posted on: Mar 24, 2009
Aquedita says:
It does feel good to know that things are slowly starting to get back to normal.
But what about the arsonists?
Posted on: Mar 24, 2009
sylviandavid says:
What a nice commentary of the generosity and commitment of the Australians.... Sylvia
Posted on: Mar 22, 2009