Little ways that Cambodia affects me.

Auckland Travel Blog

My motivator each day.

Today I had a piquant kind of day - really busy at work and surrounded by some very stressed people and all along I was mentally in Siem Reap and thinking about the people I'm going to meet there and the things I will do.

When I was there in 2004 and did some teaching there was one particular golden child in the class - a boy who had the sweetest smile. Everyone in the class loved him, he was just so affable and good natured. I took a photo of him and that photo is on my office wall. One day, months after I returned to NZ I emailed Savong a copy of the photo and asked about the boy. I wondered if in fact he was one of Savong's younger brothers.

No said Savong. The boy was not in his family, and in fact just two weeks before I'd taken the photo the boy's father - a taxi driver - had been brutally murdered by a passenger who asked to be taken out to a remote area, then turned on the driver, stabbed him and took the money.

I look at the photo daily and try and find even a trace of anguish on the boy's beaming face. After Savong's email I thought, yes, I could see a trace of real sadness - but even now I wonder how that little kid could be so stoic, so together. I look at his photo and feel humbled.

Auckland