Driving snow scooter – and flying more than 20 meters

Kuutsemae Travel Blog

Snow scooters

I had never driven snow scooter before but Kaija had done it and I was really looking forward to do it. We left Elva at 6 pm in the dark to find the scooter rental close to Otepää. We arrived there 30 min later after getting lost in the dark winter on the small roads.

It was pretty cold; close to-12 degrees Celsius and the only light came from the moon. The snow scooter rental was next to one of the ski slopes and there were 10 huge snow scooters lined up.

We found a guy who spoke English so I could follow some of the instruction. There was not much to it; speeder on one hand and break on the other. We paid for one hour; I found it rather expensive but what the heck! I was all in for it.

Me on the snow scooter
It was 2000 eek for the both of us or 65€ each. There was no insurance possible so we had to take care.

First we followed a small trail to a field where we could get the feel of the machines. Shortly thereafter we could climb a small mountain where there was a huge field 1 x 3 km with a circuit track which went up and down and was great fun. We had also the possibility to go off track but this was good enough for us.

On the circuit it was easy to reach more than 100 km/h going up and down it slopes. After 35 min I felt like one with the machine and I therefore wanted to test its maximum speed. I found a place where I really could power up and was going 130-140 km/h uphill when I felt that it was too much! I grabbed the break but way too powerful!

What happen shortly after I briefly remember; I flew true the windshield and landed 20-30 meters in front of the snow scooter.

Somewhere in the dark I am on my way
I didn’t feel like moving at all and I just wanted to get my breath again. After a minute or so I got up and found out that I was very lucky because I was all okay. My helmet had lost is upper screen and the windshield was broken, but otherwise everything was okay.

Kaija said that I looked like big red bird as I was flying over the scooter and she had been quite worried of my landing which had been a lot less gentle than the plane in Hudson River. My chest took some beating, and I was very happy that there was no video of the incident.

I managed to get back to the rental office with all the pieces and was greeted by a not very happy owner. I must say he changed his attitude after I said that I off cause would pay for my damages. I ended up paying 380€ and got the broken helmet with me home as souvenir!

I must say that I am gonna do this again but I will not use the break next time. It was great fun.

Lord_Mike says:
Sweet!
Posted on: Feb 15, 2009
Chokk says:
I had loads of fun - I will do it again
Posted on: Feb 14, 2009
CFD says:
Snow Scooters are really cool! Its also pretty fun to drive them around in summertime when you can drive across waters and lakes, but you have to speed it up. If your speed falls below around 70/60km/h you will fall to the bottom. Luckily there are some advantages of being a lapp , sapmi
Posted on: Feb 14, 2009
Me on the snow scooter
Somewhere in the dark I am on my w…
Somewhere in the dark I am on my …
Fighting the cold
Fighting the cold
Kaija coming
Kaija coming
Kuutsemae General Tips & Advice review
Driving snow scooter
Snow scooter are for men and women who enjoys speed and snow in a breathtaking combination. I had never driven snow scooter before but my girlfrie… read entire review
Kuutsemae