On the way to Estonia and arriving in Riga

Riga Travel Blog

Arriving at the airport

I had never been in Riga before; the only place I had been in Latvia was the far northern part close to Valka, which is small city next to the Estonian border at the city of Valga.

We had the flight at nine o'clock from Brussels or we were supposed to have. Some snow, very little, in Brussels had delayed the plane for almost 1 hour. The plane was full mostly of Latvians getting home. After two hours and 15 min we landed in Riga. The landscape was covered in a white blanket of snow and it was pretty cold; -10 degrees Celsius.

The airport was fairly small; it reminded me of a modern version of the one in Vilnius, Lithuania.

Welcome to Latvia
From the plane we were picked up by a bus at the airport and driven to the arrival area, where our suitcases arrived shortly after on one of the two luggage tracks.

We went to the arrival area to look for the Add-car rental office that we had booked via Baltic Air. It turned out that their office was on the second floor and that the car was to be found at parking P3 which was pretty far from the office. It was a good thing it didn't snow or rain.

We picked up our car; it was an Opel Vectra. I really don't know why I get these Opels all the time. We had asked for a GPS but apparently something had gone wrong, so we just had to find our way ourselves.

We drove towards Riga and found a gas station where we bought a map. Not knowing where we were resulted in a major detour, due to the fact that we followed the signs towards Tallinn, this lead us on the ring around Riga. The ring round Riga is huge and you are making a detour of approximately 50 km if you follow it, but it can be worthwhile because the traffic in Riga can be monstrous.

We finally got on the E77 to Sigulda, which is a snow sport activity area and one of the entry points of the Cesis national park. We drove off at Segulda and turned towards Inciems passing the beautiful area arround Turaida, where I am sure I will return to this summer. We entered the A3 heading for Valmiera and Valka. At Valka just before the border we saw a beautiful deer crossing the road in front of us. Well it actually stopped and looked at us and we looked back again. Since there was no traffic at all we stopped and secured some pictures.

From the border of Valka and Valga on the Estonian side we drove toward Tartu until we met a sign with Elva which was the goal of our trip. We arrived late afternoon and the temperature had gone down to -12. It was nice to get indoor after feeling these degrees.

All in all we had planned to stay in Estonia for almost a week and week that according to the weather forecast would be rather cold.

Chokk says:
I will see more of Riga next time for sure.
Posted on: Apr 05, 2010
ilvagul says:
:) They always give Opels, because nobody likes them.
Anyway... change the goal next time and get to see more of Riga ;)
Posted on: Apr 05, 2010
margie_adventure says:
congrats on your feature. This piece of writings makes me felt like I'm watching a movie :-) so descriptive. I wish I could write like you.
Posted on: Feb 16, 2009
Riga General Tips & Advice review
Renting car in Riga, Latvia
It was my first time in Riga and first time renting a car there naturally. I had booked my rental car at Add-rental which is Baltic air's car rental. … read entire review