You won't believe this, but it gets better.

New York Travel Blog

Arriving in New York
I woke up really early this morning to make sure that I got to see Parrish and Belle before they went to school, I was out of bed by 7:56 and spent the morning with them. Julie took them to school and I got ready and packed everything away. Julie was back by 9:45 and we were on the way to Brattleboro to catch the train. Brattleboro is a cute town and we had some time to kill before the station openend -- when I say station, I mean, the door in a back alley near the river. We walked around and went to the Food Coop to get some food. On our way to the store, a giant chunk of ice fell off a roof and landed a foot from me, it hit the cement and felt and heard the crash -- I should have seen that as a bad omen ala the Final Destination movies. Julie left me at the station around 11:30 and I waited for the 12:30 train.
The lobby that eluded me
It was about 15 minutes late, but there is was and I was off. I had a business class ticket, but couldn't find the business class car, so I sat in coach and it was fine. The conductor got me to the right place, and I have to say the extra 22 dollars was totally worth it. I had a big seat to myself by a window and an aisle, it was right next to the snack car and a the bathroom and I had a power outlet and a leg rest. I watched movies and slept through Massachusetts and then into Connecticut. Once we got to Mass. the rails smoothed out a lot and it was a pretty comfortable ride, I do like trains. I went through Amherst, Springfield, Hartford and then from New Haven all the way into New York City, there were some great views as there is still a good amount of snow around.
The view from my second hotel
We got into NYC about 6:45 and I got a cab at Penn Station really fast, traffic was sort of crappy, but I made it to my hotel by 7:30. Then the fun began, when I checked in, I was told my reservation had been cancelled. I panicked. I called Priceline and after about 20 minutes on the phone, I was refunded my money and the hotel I was supposed to check into was looking for another hotel for me as it was there mistake. Hotels are booked everywhere, so I told them I was going to get something to eat and then come back in half an hour. I got a quick bite to eat, and headed back. No luck on a hotel yet, so they opened a bar tab for me while I waited. I have to say, that I was really bummed I wasn't staying at this hotel, the Exchange Hotel, it was beautiful, friendly, and I loved it. Eventually, 2 jack and cokes later, they found me a room in TriBeCa and gave me 250 in cash to pay for it and my cab ride there.
I am very near the world trade center site, so I got 2 pictures, that is the extent of my site seeing in New York this time. My new hotel is fine, but no where as nice as the Exchange, but all together only cost 220 dollars with the cab ride, so I made 30 bucks on my stay in New York. I had planned on going to Chinatown and F&B for a hotdog and then out to the Village for a beer, but by the time I got here, I was slightly drunk on jack and cokes and really tired from the day. So here I am in NYC with no plans but to sleep and not tempt fate anymore. My shuttle picks me up at 9:30 in the morning and then I will be home by 5:30pm if all goes well.
New York