Hustle, bustle & bright lights

Hong Kong Travel Blog

Red Bean Pastries
I'd been to Hong Kong before in 1996, but this time I wasn't obligated to follow my parents around everywhere. So I was able to accomplish most things which I set out to do:
  • Ride on a Double decker something (tram/bus)
  • Visit the Big Buddha
  • Try some local delicacies, Yum Cha, Korean, Vegetarian. .  Snake Stew & Frog Hotpot
  • Visit Macau
  • Do lots of shopping!
Shopping
On Sunday after my plane touched down & we checked into our hotel, we went out to eat & then did some light shopping in Causeway Bay. I think this has to be one of my favourite shopping districts with multilevel boutique stores for trendy finds & also larger department stores like SOGO.

Mong Kok is where the famous Ladies' market is located and If you're looking for a pair of casual streetwear shoes (e.
Big Pile of . . . Tea
g addidas, pumas) this is the best place to get an authentic pair. I bought a pair of addidas' for $HK 316 or $AU 65.

The markets are generally great for accessories like bags, scarves and sunglasses, but if you're looking to buy decent clothes, I'd suggest actual clothing stores. Better designs, quality & you're less likely to be ripped off. I bought soooo many tops for $AU 15 which would have otherwise cost about 60 in Australia.

For computer stuff, I did it all at the Wanchai Computer Centre with 3 levels of computer stores,  USB  flash disk, wireless mouse, microphone & camera memory disk all for under $AU 150!

Big Buddha
The Big Buddha was a fun expedition. I love riding on Cable cars & catching one from Tung Chung over Lantau Island offered heaps of great views of the Hong Kong City landscape and mountain ranges.
Big Buddha

Last time I came here, the Buddha was still in construction, this time he came complete with a commercial village. I kid you not when I say that there's a starbucks, 7-eleven and even a gelato store up there! It's kinda wierd given the whole philosophy of Buddha wouldn't you say?
Anyway, I managed to ascend the many steps to the exhibition hall (no photos cause no cameras allowed) & bought myself some blessed buddha beads before descending back to earth.

Food
HK folk take their food seriously. It is AMAZINGLY cheap to eat in HK & for the price of a mid-range meal in Australia, you'd be looking at dining in upperclass restaurants in Hong Kong.

However, there is so much processed food it's not funny & most of the time, it's steeped in a lot of grease & has lots of MSG. Drink lots of water & also break out the Metamucil.
Snakes in a jar
Cause you probably won't want to miss out on eating their cakes & desserts either (red bean pastries, winter melon pastries, egg tarts, sago desserts & the list goes on).

The Yum Cha experience is a must, as it's an asian tradition, but since I'd already experienced that in Australia, I wanted to go a little far out. This is where the Snake Stew and Frog hotpot comes in.  My Aunt recommended a stellar place in Wan Chai where snakes are on display in large jars. Snake tastes like chewy fish and frog. . . kinda tastes like chicken (though more veiny).

My 1 week spent in Hong Kong was absolutely hectic to say the least. However, I did get quite a few snaps of the busy city in action. It's honestly one crazy city which never sleeps.

Cinz
travelman727 says:
Great descriptions and photos of one of my favorite places :-D
Posted on: Apr 23, 2007
Double Decker Transport
Double Decker Transport
Commuters waiting at Wan Chai stat…
Commuters waiting at Wan Chai sta…
Bakery
Yummy Snake!
Yummy Snake!
Rice Hotpot
Rice Hotpot
Hello Kitty Wedding Statues @ Hong…
Hello Kitty Wedding Statues @ Hon…
Yummo Dessert