AsiaBruneiSerasa

Kayak and seafood dinner at Serasa beach

Serasa Travel Blog

A pro in the making

It was the best weekend by far for my 2009. I always have this "idea" that there is pretty much nothing to do in Brunei. But my yesterday mini getaway proved me wrong. Wrong..wrong..wrong.. Brunei can be as fun as any other place...all you need to do is find out from people who know....and I was lucky...my friend knew of such place. I never knew that paradise can be right under my nose and it takes the shape of a beach called SERASA.

I always know Serasa beach, in fact I have been there a couple of times before and I never found the beach as appealing. However, yesterday has changed my view 360 degrees. Before I carry on further with this blog let me just tell you my opinion of Serasa the day before yesterday - DULL.

calmness
 Then I heard of the kayaking activity there. Some of my friends have tried it and I heard good stories ... you know.. from the way tell them, as if that is the best thing  that had ever happened to them. Strangely, but I guess not so strange, I never made any effort to go and find out the truth behind those words until last weekend, and it made me wish that I went there earlier!

Something about Serasa beach...

Serasa beach is one of the most popular and few beaches in Brunei. The water might not be as blue as at Manukan island and the sand might not be as white and clean as the ones found in Langkawi (not that I have ever been there but hey I have seen pictures), but it is one of the  best picnicking spots in the country.

children of the beach
Located at the tip of the country, jutting northeasterly towards the South China sea, the beach is in fact a spit that engulfs the Bay of Brunei. It is also where the famous Brunei river and the sea meet, generating a very strong current in the water around there. Sadly though, it is not a good place to surf as the wind here is not strong enough to generate big waves... still it is a good place for beginners to learn how to surf. This beach is also popular among sea farers who happen to be making their journey across the South China Sea. There is a yacht club there called The Royal Brunei Yacht Club which is  like a haven for expats in Brunei. I have been there a few times and I never felt so foreign in my own country.

Back to my story...

It was a boring Sunday, I woke up, lied down in my bed for what seems like hours of transcending nonesense moment, then I remembered my friend talking something about kayak and how fun it was.

waterbaby
So I called him up and asked if he would like to go there and he did. So we went that afternoon. The traffic to get into the beach area was packed with cars, some with music on so loud you wonder if the people in cars' ear drums still function properly. It is a normal scene there during weekends...unfortunately I am not a big fan of long queues. Luckily the place where we wanted to go to was close to the main entrance of the beach and there was, to my surprise, not many cars there (in fact there was only one car parked outside the place). The place was actually a restaurant (which I was foolish enough not to remember its name) that also runs a kayaking and surfing business. It was a very straightforward dealing, we talked to one of the workers there to get us a kayak for two, he did ask me if I wanted an individual one but since it was my first time (and I can't swim) kayaking I insisted on the duo kayak (coward yeah so what?) He went into a shack where they kept all their kayaks and came out a few seconds later with a sad looking life jacket (if you even call it one).
My friend's infamous boarder
I put it on, zipped it up and noticed that it had no straps to tighten it up and it was way too big. So I called for a better condition one which I got, still with no strap but at least it was cleaner (the colour orange actually looked like it was orange) and it didn't feel like it was about to slip off me if I ever fall in the water. While waiting for our kayak, my friend changed into his kayaking gear which consisted of a white boarder with blue coconut trees print which I found "outstanding" haha .. I was wearing my long black lycra pants which I seldom wear as it was one of my favourite collection of Adidas sport pants. I took some pictures of the children playing the water, I was envying their confidence and skills in swimming...while squating watching them, they looked back and swam away, they must thought I was weird haha.
The restaurant

Our kayak came out finally. It was orange with two seaters. My friend asked me to get on first and sit infront, the sea water made me nervous (for some strange reason I always thought that sharks will bite my legs under that 5 inches of water...yeah I have been watching too much movies) so I climbed up the kayak with a little difficulty as it kept on swaying from side to side but I manage to balance myself on it in the end. My friend pushed the kayak and I let out a sharp yelp as I thought he was going to let me manouvre the boat myself...he laughed and told me that he just needed to get us to the deeper part of the shore so that we could row the boat easily. When he got on, he told me that I was sitting on the wrong part of the boat (I was sitting on a black circular thing which I reckoned was somekind of a storage) and asked me slide to the front a little bit where the seat is, and I did.

Ordering food needs deep thinking
.then suddenly I felt like a sharp object was ripping my lycra at my bum..that black thing had a rivet with missing cap protruding on it and it ripped my favourite adidas lycra :(( exposing my white knickers!!! how embarrassing. Fortunately, this happened when we were away from the beach already, so I could save my worry when I get off the kayak.

We rowed the kayak for like an hour and it was the most exciting hour I ever had in a long time. I never thought that kayaking can be so much fun! the water was calm except for when there were motorboats passing us to get to the yacht club (one of the guys waved at me, I think he saw my ripped lycra hehe). At some points we stopped and let the current take the kayak wherever it flows with us on board while I laid there in there watching the great blue sky.

..ahhh bliss.

Soon it was getting too dark to see our way and we had to go back to the shore. The night was not over yet. We washed up at the washroom there. Problem arised; the shower in the ladies' washroom didn't work, I forgot my towel and my shower gel..PERFECT! Fortunately my best buddy lent me his towel and shower gel and asked me to shower first...bless his heart... so that's one problem solved. After reconning the ladies' washroom, I decided to use the small bucket there to collect water and use that to clean myself...I know what you're thinking...the washroom was clean despite its dilapidated condition.

After I was done and all dressed in my fresh clothes, I passed my friend's stuff in the next room and waited for him outside. While waiting I watched the workers there cleaning up their boat and I had this feeling of calmness bolstering me.

Mosquito warning
Peace is priceless and free at the same time. Darkness crept slowly and lights start to appear from every horizon, and soon the car-packed beach was transformed into a banquet hall cladded in black and decorated by colourful lights from the yacht club, the jetty, the restaurant and the ships mooring far in the deepwater.

Hunger poked my gut and we went to the restaurant just next to the kayak place to have dinner. What I like about that place is that the people there were friendly and you can round up your kayak and dinner bills together. I had a plate of spicy butter prawn with rice. It was magnificent. My friend ordered fried chickens and chips. I finished up his chips hehe. We chit chatted our way through dinner and I realised some signboard that was screaming "Strictly no beer" .

NO DRUNKEN TOURISTS
.. that explained why I couldn't see any tourists going there. There was also a surfing lesson advertisement that says Wind is free, use it" how clever.

We left the beach around 8, with full tummy, sore arms and smiles on our faces.

borneonikieta says:
I am not really sure if they are still using the same number, but you can try calling one of the beach boys at 8887853. They're quite resourceful and you would be able to get more information that you need from him. Good luck!
Posted on: Jun 21, 2010
borneonikieta says:
Hi, I suppose you can just turn up and book, but I guess it depends on how many people are using the kayaks at one time. So I'm not really sure. But you should try it, it's a lot of fun.
Posted on: Jun 21, 2010
yasminfarhana says:
Hey :D
couldn't help to notice this great review about my own country. do you happen to have the number for the kayaking? :D
Posted on: Jun 20, 2010
Paying our dues
Paying our dues
Serasa Sights & Attractions review
Kayaking in Serasa Beach
If you happen to be in Brunei and find yourself sitting bored in your square hotel room, you should call the taxi (if you can get one) and go to Seras… read entire review