Homeres Hits the Springs

Colorado Springs Travel Blog

Conquer the world!
As I was watching the Michael Scott, from the Office, crawl on the floor to get back into the building, my cell rings and tells me Jess is at the airport waiting at baggage claim.  Shoot!  The end of that episode will have to wait (I'm still waiting, so no funny business by giving it away!).  My sister, Janice and I head up to the airport and find Jess awaiting our arrival.  She has driven to Dayton and had no seat to speak of on her flight out so I would've understood if she just wanted to check into her hotel and call it a night, but no, Jess was ready for all the Springs had to offer.  Hopefully we could scratch up something worthwhile...

After checking in and dropping off her bags we went to Quinn's-many a wary traveler's bar of choice.
Homeres & Sis
  With good reason too, they serve O'Dell's on tap right next to Smithwick's, Guiness and Bass.  Jess asks for a recommendation and goes with the 1554 by New Belgium...a bit dark and moody for my tastes, but not a bad choice.  After a bit, we decide to go a few doors down to my venue of choice, the Ritz.  We order a round of Beehive Wheats (so she can have a truly Coloradan experience) and sip them till the band starts to play music I simply can not seem to keep still around.  It doesn't take a whole lot for me to be in the mood when it comes to dancing :)  We have a round of lemon-drops and another beer.  Then some more dancing.  By the time 1100 rolls around I'm begging my sober sister (literally in every way) to just let us stay on a little while longer.
Me & Travbuddy
..her answer, um Melissa, some of us have things to do early tomorrow...ugh!  Fine.

800 comes too early and we go up to Monarch with a couple of coworkers of mine.  I'm sure I'm nauseuous the whole way up, but Homeres is all calm and serene.  At this point I hate her.  Not her personality or her fun stories...no it's more that I hate that she seems fully rested and not sick in the least as I'm chugging all 32 oz of that damned water bottle!  UGH!  We get up there and I've decided to go the cheaper route and use my skis instead of renting a board.  I go on a few runs and come back to Homeres as she's gliding down the hill in short spurts.  Of course!  She's catching on quickly AND she's not hungover.
  Good for her :)  It's a little after one and she says she'd like to try the lift.  Wouldn't you know it, she gets much farther before falling than I ever did when trying to ski or board for the first times.  I'm finally coming to realize Jess is the perfect person to have with you when you are trying something new.  She won't hold you back and she'll stick to her guns till the job is finished.  We get home and have her over for dinner and play a little Dutch Blitz.  She's extremely considerate and offers to go back to the hotel even though she clearly has enough energy to go the rest of the night.  Theoretically I'm supposed to be more acclimated for this altitude but I'm acting like a total nube fresh from sea-level (yawning like crazy, ready to sleep by 700, dehydrated.
..ugh)

The next day we go driving around and take some pictures at Garden of the Gods, Manitou Springs, Bear Creek Dog Park, and Alphonso's (the BEST little Mexican lunch counter I will ever experience).  After a day of sightseeing, we go back to the house and have some burgers and beer.  We watch some TV and as it is Sunday night, I need my beauty sleep otherwise the kiddies will eat me alive come Monday morning so I take Homeres back to her hotel and say my goodbyes.  It was the perfect end-cap to my spring break and I'm so glad Jess came out to spend some time with us!!!
SnyderScottA says:
Dutch Blitz wow that takes me back! Great story!
homeres says:
lol, u make it sound like its a quick weekend!!
Lord_Mike says:
Awe....and I am sure pictures are in the works???
Tasting the spring water of Manitou
Learning to board
Learning to board
Climbers at GoG
Climbers at GoG
Reveling in the aftermath of Alfon…
Reveling in the aftermath of Alfo…
Kissing Camels