EuropeItalyRome

The catacombs

Rome Travel Blog

It would seem based on the title that I visited the catacombs today....

I slept in a bit, after staying up reading my book for a long while.  I walked up to a huge park where there were several museums, the zoo, a Globe Theater, and more.  Rather then go in to any of these places, I just walked around, enjoyed the sun, and relaxed.   The weather here has been great and I haven't wore my long pants except at night.

I spent a little time at the internet cafe making reservations for the next few days, and at about 2:30 I got board of walking and dug through my travel book a bit to find something interesting.  The Catacombs.  There are three major ones here in Rome.
  I jumped on the Metro and headed that way.

Turns out there is really only one way into the catacombs area...and I picked a way on the other side of another huge park.  After wandering around a bit I decided to try the bus...and as luck would have it, got off about 3 stops too early.  I walked up the narrow (no sidewalk enclosed by two big ancient walls) road to the catacombs and found the information booth....to be closing.  They did take the time to explain that the catacombs close at 5pm and the biggest/closest was actually already closed.  Looking at my watch I realized it was already 4:30.  Bummer.

I got back on the bus, this time it was full.  There was a guy screaming at the top of his lungs repeatedly.  I didn't have to speak italian to know he was nuts.  He seemed to be providing advice to everyone we passed, and somtimes appeared to comment on the bus driver's driving skills...or lack there of.

It could seem like this was a wasted day, but I enjoyed it greatly.  I had some time to make some rough plans about where my trip would take me and read my book.  I'm almost done with it which is a great feeling since at home I rarely get the chance to pick up a work of fiction.
Rome