Lake the rain

Varenna Travel Blog

Having finished my tour of Milan I took the extra day I had to visit The Lakes.  Rick Steves recommended the town of Varenna and the train to get there was easy so I jumped on.  I thought little of the weather, hoping that I could still see things happening and even catch a farry to some of the other towns accross the lake.  It was raining a bit in Milan, but hopefully that would clear.

Getting there was a bit slow.  It was another regional train and we stopped several times.  When we got to Varenna I was deep into my book and as we slowed I started looking for signs to see if we were at my stop.

I finally found one and as I was headed to the door, the train departed.  I got off at the next stop, but had to wait 30 min for the next train back.  When I arrived the weather had not cleared.  I wandered the town a bit but only found that there were no tourists, most of the shops were closed, and the streets were dead.

Not wanting to just jump on the next train, I had a pizza at a little resturant, and then headed back.  The next train wouldn't depart for another hour, but I knew that.  There was just nothing left for me in town.

When I got back to Milan the weather was clearing a bit (just my luck) so I didn't mind wandering the Golden Quadrangle a bit where all the expensive shops were at.  The only things with less then 4 digits on them...were the clocks.  Even the smallest of accessories were over 100€.  Wow.

I stopped at the internet cafe again to see about my hotel in Sienna, and to check my flight.  I thought I left Rome at 5pm, turns out I leave at 11am.  There's no way I can be in Sienna that morning.  It worked out that the hotel I had checked into was booked.

It took a while but I found something affordable in Rome.  I was burned on hostels...I just needed a bit of space, and privacy, so I splurged for the last two days and got me a private room at a small hotel.  We'll see how it works out.

photo by: ruxaa