Incredible Hiking

Cinque Terre Travel Blog

When I reviewed the guide books on the Cinqueterre I glazed over the parts about the incredible hiking.  I love to hike, but I've done so much walking already and every town is on a hill so that's a lot of work for vacation already.

When I got to the hostel I met a couple from Germany who told me a little about the trails.  Then the other two roommates I had talked highly of it as well, so I gave it a shot.

I had already done the first walk from Riomaggiore to my town, Manarola.  That's the Via dell'Amore and it's only about a 20 min walk or so.  So I started to head the other direction.  At first I planned on taking one of the longer more sceanic hikes, but the weather was a bit intimidating.
  It was a little chilly, but beyond that it was raining and I feared I would get caught in a storm.  Instead I took one of the easier hikes from Manarola to Corniglia.  This walk was nice, fairly easy, and only about a hour in duration.

Corniglia was just as small as Manarola and Riomaggiore, and since it's off season and cold there wasn't a lot happening.  I considered taking the next walk to Vernazza, but saw a sign that said it was cloased.  Apparently there had been a landslide of some kind and that path was closed.  At this point the weather was still bad.

Mostly it was muggy at this point.  At 90% humidity I was sweating despite the chill in the air.  The train to the final city, skipping over Vernazza to Monterosso al Mare, was a nice break from the walking.
  Monterosso is a bit larger and I took some time to explore around a bit before hopping back on the trail and walking to Vernazza.

This trail is beautiful as well.  It was much more difficult and took me about 90 min.  There were lots of tourists walking it so I don't think that it's a dangerous trail, but rather it involves a lot of stairs, and narrow paths next to small cliffs overlooking wine vineyards, and lemon/orange orchards.

Vernazza was the best city yet.  It had lots going on and was beautiful.  I would recommend people who want to relax in this area to stay here, and enjoy their time.  If you just want to see it, I think that a day trip from another city is a better choice.  All 5 towns have trains which run roughly hourly and can get you back to your city easily.
Some homeless cats were being care…
Some homeless cats were being car…
My lock on Via dellAmore
My lock on Via dell'Amore
Cinque Terre Sights & Attractions review
Hiking in the Cinque Terre
Hiking in the Cinque Terre hills is amazing and something that should be on every hikers list. The 5 towns of the Cinque Terre are joined by nume… read entire review
Cinque Terre