Cinque Terre

Cinque Terre Travel Blog

The Cinqueterre is amazing!

My train ride was a bit long with three connections.  I got out of the hostel easily and to the train station quickly.  My train ticket was easy to get but it turned out that I woudl be traveling from 0900 to 1530.  The connections between trains were quick and on one ocassion I had to run from one train to the other.  Unfortunatly, they were regional trains so I stopped at every station along the way, slowing things down a lot.

Since I was on the move, and didn't have much time to eat, I gave McDonalds a try.  Not bad.  I got the Mc-something that looked like a quarterpounder with cheese.  I liked it, and the fries tasted like they do at home, yummm.

The hostel I stayed at was nice.
The church in Manarola
  I arrived about 30 min before they opened in the afternoon.  They were so organized that it seemed a little too regimented.  We had to use shower coins which allowed only a 5 min shower, kept our passport (not too uncommon actually), and had strict hours including a curfew.  Mostly I think I'm just getting a little tired of being on a hostel's schedule.

I've found that Italy, like Spain and Mexico, take a work break in the afternoons.  Hostels are the same, they often close in the afternoon.  That means I can't be at the hostel during that time (usually 1p to 4 or 5p) , and there's very little going on in town, so I'm just wandering empty streets for a few hours.  I would rather be taking a nap or relaxing at this time, but.

The 5 towns along the Cinqueterre really close down at night it seems, at least the two I visited today, Manarola and Riomaggiore.  I am assuming that most visitors make a day trip to the towns and then leave, but it's tough to know at this point since I got in so late.

Today I walked one of the short paths between those two towns even though it was a little rainy and cold.  It was amazing.  The walk is mostly level, paved, and along the coast providing some amazing views.  It's called the Via dell'Amore, and is well worth the 5€ park pass you need to walk along it.

I had a great dinner.  Being on the coast they offered mussels, which I love.  I had that and a pesto spegetti.    Pesto is a regional specialty of this area and I really liked it used in this way.

I was able to make a reservation for a one-day cooking class on Bologna for Monday, so I've rearranged my plans a bit to accomodate it.
Cinque Terre