Haiti dental mission

Haiti Travel Blog

A local church began sending health and other missions to a small village in Haiti 10 years ago. I had the privilege of joining the dental team 3 years ago. It's an annual trip, so, unfortunately, anyone with a toothache now will probably have to wait until next January for treatment. Most have no transportation and can't afford even the most basic emergency health care, not to mention, the nearest dentist is over a 2 hour drive away (on the road from hell).

Our 2 teams over a 2 week period, treated 500 villagers and examined and placed fluoride on hundreds of children. The town has no running water or electricity other than our compound and I'll never get used to the cold water showers. Our hosts are very gracious in keeping us fed for an incredibly busy week. Our schedule is filled with surgical extractions all day long. Sunday is our day off, spent at a 3 hour mass, walking around the village and jumping rope or playing soccer with the children.

Although it's nice to return home, it's always difficult to leave this little village. A part of me (my heart) remains there all year long and I look forward to returning next January, the best week of my year!
game of chicken, we lose