The Royal Palace and the route to Golden Mount

Bangkok Travel Blog

I had a lovely sleep last night and only woke up at about 9:30am. By the time I got down I was to late for breakfast, but very ready to explore town. I really wanted to see the Royal Palace again, as I loved this place so much last year, so that is what I went to see first. I took the Skytrain and the Express Boat again, and soon arrived at the Th Maharat peer.

I got of the boat at Th Maharat stop because I wanted to walk passed the Wat Mahathat first and then through the amulet market. There weren't so many vendors out on the streets though. I think I read somewhere that they are not allowed to sell stuff on the sidewalks on Monday but I'm not sure if that's true.

Anyways, it was a pleasant walk to the palace and around the surrounding walls, to the entrance. For some reason, it appeared to be free of charge today, while normally the entrance fee is about 250 Bath or something. There weren't that many people however, so I was lucky. When I got here last year this place was crowded but now it was far more tranquil. I guess most tour groups don't visit on Mondays... And maybe it was also lunchtime...

I spend a lot of time inside the Royal Palace to look at the Emerald Buddha and to wonder around the temples and buildings. After that, I went to sit outside in the shade for a while, watching people pass by and thinking about what I could do for the rest of the day. Then I decided to talk a walk east of the palace, through the Banglamphu district, towards Golden Mount.

The beautiful Royal Palace
I more or less followed the route that was recommended in the Lonely Planet Bangkok guide and I must say that I didn't regret it. Although I couldn't keep track of the exact same streets at all time, the areas that I walked through were really lovely. I came from the wide and crowded streets around the Royal Palace, but soon I found myself surrounded by small klongs and narrow alleys where almost no other tourists where to be seen. It was a very strange difference.

I started of with a short stroll through the Saranrom Royal Garden and then criss-crossed up to the Wat Suthat. Such a lovely temple, so much smaller than the palace but so sweet and peaceful. There was a group of Children practicing to play trumpet and another group was playing some kind of drums.

The beautiful Royal Palace
The music floated around the whole area and made it extra pleasant to wander around. Then I walked further passed the Giant Swing and found another temple called Wat Thepthidaram Worawihan, which was also surprisingly deserted and nice. I wanted to make my way to Golden Mount, but it was closed. I was actually warned for that by a tuk tuk driver I met along the way, but as all guidebooks warn tourists not to believe tuk tuk drivers who tell you a certain attraction is closed, I refused listening to him... So sad because he hadn't lied. Apparently there was some sort of event going on in the afternoon. The walk to golden mount was nice though, passed a lot of religious shops selling wonderful Buddha statues, some really big and others so very tiny.
The beautiful Royal Palace

When I got back down from the "mountain" the streets around the area were suddenly packed with cars. Rush hour had started, and on top of that, because of the same event that closed down marble mountain, some of the main streets around where closed for traffic. Nobody could explain to me clearly however what exact festivity was going on... but there were people with costumes and flags and a lot of police was trying to keep cars away from certain places. I needed to get back to the hostel in time however, to meet up with May again, so there was no time for walking and I was far away from the river and the skytrain. I just had to find a taxi, but every single one that passed me was already full and so it took me over 15 minutes to stop one that was still free. The guy however refused to use the meter and quoted 500 Bath.

No way. So I waited for another 15 minutes, but same thing, quoting 400 Bath. I got really pissed of and refused again. But because I'd been wandering so long from crossroad to crossroad and street to street, trying to find a meter taxi, I didn't know where I was anymore... There were no other tourists around the area where I'd ended up and no taxi seemed to stop. I noticed myself getting pretty stressed about that, so decided for myself that I should just take the first available vehicle and go back, no matter how much. Finally I took a tuk tuk that still cost me 200 Bath. Maybe if I'd payed that for the taxi it should have been ok, but I think a tuk tuk shouldn't cost that much. I just couldn't get any free taxi anymore and time was closing in on me. Besides, it took almost an hour to get back to Sukhumvit Road.
I love the coconuts!!!
I was only just in time to meet May! So I told myself: always remember to get back to the skytrain area before rush hour starts!

The meet up with May and Mee was just lovely :) We took a taxi to a restaurant of which ones again I don't remember the name, to drink delicious fresh coconut juice and have great dishes. After that we got to eat ice cream! I so loved the tastes that were to choose from, but because there was cheese taste as well the choice was easy to make. It was a lovely night out and it was again after midnight before I got to bed, of which I have no regrets though :) I have to thank you girls again for the great time we had!

Suk 11 road