Marrakech day 3

Marrakech Travel Blog

It is raining, let’s see how the day turns out! ☺
Who would expect to be cold in Marrakech in February while in Barcelona we are around 13 degrees Celsius! Besides, Marrakech and the Canary Islands have, more or less, the same latitude! Well, today was rainy and cold for most of the day, although it is true that it comes and goes all the time. So yesterday we spent another day in the souks buying some gifts! And I found a new patch for one of my jackets! Woohoooo! I also bought a nice Tuareg neckless for my collection made with silver and ebano! My collection is growing day by day… i have some from Sweeden, Tanzania, La Palma, Marrakech, … My mother bought lamps, bracelets, incienso and a small carpet.
We were quite good negotiating, as we go it for 50% of its starting price. Bargaining is the official sport in the city! ☺

Around 13.30 we went to have lunch to a restaurant recommended in Lonely Planet. It was called Restaurant Foucauld. It is an awesome restaurante if you want to have typical food for cheap! From there we headed towards Rue Riad Zitoun El Jedid to visit Dar Si Said. Everyone told us it was worthile, and being such a cold day, we decided that to spend some time indoors was the best idea! ☺ The place was ok, but nothing to be thrilled about! It is not very well preserved. Once our visit was over, we went back to Jamaa El Fna! If you ask me I would say it is the soul of this city! You can stay there for hours just looking around and being entretained by any of the shows going on.
And you will never be alone, there is always someone offering you something! (at some point gets too annoying). And where did we go after that? To the souks again!!! There is something magic there that attracts my mother everytime we get close from it! Around 5pm I convinced her to go to a panoramic view cafeteria over Jamaa El Fna. The place was not great, but the views and the mint tea were a good combination. Before going back to the Riad, we checked some excursions at the travel agencies around Jamaa El Fna and bought one for Thursday.

Around 5.30 we went back to the Riad, as at 8pm we were heading to the Chez Ali Show. The show includes dancers, musicians, acrobats, horsemen and a typical dinner. Everyone I know who has been in Marrakech has visited the place to see the show.
For the whole evening (from 8 to 12) you pay 45 euros, which is not bad if you consider the time you spend there and the food you have. Would I recommend it to you? Honestly… no, I would not. I just felt was too touristic and very artificial. However, if you are a big group and you want to have some drinks and have fun together, that might be the place. It is also true that there are not too many places open at night, so it is an option. Be careful with prices, as the ticket includes dinner but not the drinks. Half a bottle of red wine came up to be 100 Dirhams, which is not bad if it the wine had been better! ☺ The place is about 20 minutes from the Place Jamaa El Fna.

After the show we came straight to the Riad… I had to keep writting my travel blog ☺

Marrakech Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Typical show in Marrakech
Marrakech Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Typical restaurant in Marrakech
If nobody tells you about this restaurant you would not go in. I read a review in Lonely Planet so I decided to go and try it out! I did not regret it… read entire review
photo by: sweetet