Road terripin

Busan Travel Blog

So after the hangover soup in Pohang, I set sail for the next leg of my trip. I wanted to go a bit further south than Busan because there were some islands there that looked enticing, as well as a pretty long bridge that I thought would be fun to ride on. I stopped to fill up my tank after a shore road. While there I was looking at the map and the attendant, interested in my journey, inquired as to my next destination. I showed him on the map and asked about the islands. He told me that the bridge was under construction. I knew the word for construction because I had taught myself on the road. I think the entire country is currently under construction, therefore I saw the signs everywhere and decided to exercise my brain a bit.
Everywhere all you see is Danger, Slow, construction! This kinda bummed me out cause it would take a bit of extra time to make it there now. I got back on the road and realized that it was most likely going to be raining some more. I stopped at the first bike shop I saw and asked the guy if he had some rain clothing he could sell me or tell me where I could buy some. He thought I wanted a rain cover for my bike, but once we finally confirmed our communication he made a five minute phone call and then gave me some used clothing of his. He would not accept money for them, so I at least bought the bike cover from him. Not a bad deal for 30,000, a bike cover (which fits my bike absolutely perfectly), a rain jacket and pants and little wrist wraps to tighten the sleeve. I officially was back in love with the Land of the Morning Calm.

So I set me direction towards south and marched forward. I found some rain along the way too. That was a shocker. It really wasn't too bad on this day. I had a few moments where I wished I was sitting in a warm sauna, but after it cleared away I was happy I was there. I rode through Gyeongju and was planning to spend about two or three days there, but the couchsurfer I messaged was not available to host and I decided last minute that it was a town that I prefer to explore with a friend. Plus, with the likely hood that I stay here two years, it looks like I'll have plenty of time. I made my way all the way down to Busan and the sun had fallen. I stopped to call my friend Julie (the girl I hiked Jirisan with back in May) to see what she was up to.
traditional village
She informed me of a little rock-n-roll festival out on the beach in her area. Hell yeah I was on my way baby!!

I asked the first guy I saw where the beach was. He spoke a little English. "Oh, verrry far. One hour!" he says. I thought to myself, "Dude, I've been on this road for three days now. An hour, I think I can handle." I just asked him to point. Every time I had a chance I would ask for directions. Apparently this is not a hugely popular beach. There is a beach in Busan called Haeundae which is the most popular in th country and that has signs all over the place for it, but Daedeppo, on the other hand, was quite a task to discover. I asked taxi drivers at red lights, Other people with cars at red lights, ajummas and ajoshis on the road. It was perfect. I felt like they knew exactly what I was doing cause everyone would just point.
No words were hardly ever spoken. They would just point t an intersection and then point or say which way from there. Then I would go to the next intersectiona and do it again.

I finally pulled into the right area. I knew I was there because I heard rock-n-roll and saw thousands of people...and cars. Man the traffic sucked. You know what was great though. Have you ever been in traffic and seen that guy on a motorcycle ducking and dodging between cars and he probably ends up where he's going hours ahead of yourself. Well, it felt good to be him. I got off the bike and called Julie. She met me with a cold beer wihch I was grateful for. We enjoyed the festival very much. Well really just the atmosphere. We hug out on the beach with some of her friends. We went to the soju tent after the crowd cleared away and I found a guy playing the guitar. I brought my harmonica and we jammed a bit on the beach. After a few bottles of soju and some good times, I stumbled back to the tent we had set up by the water and passed out.

Next day, I headed east.