0363. Ourika Proper (Mor 195--new)

Eureka Travel Blog

Episode 12: The Ourika Valley

Just after one day and two nights in Casa, I turn right around and head back to Marrakech—to pick up right where I left off.  Don’t really know if this should be considered a separate Subtour or not…

In Marrakech, I quickly head back to the south bus terminal and hop on a bus to Ourika.  Marrakech folks swear that Ourika is the best mountain town of them all—so I’ll just have to find out if that’s true.

The bus reaches Ourika—and I’m not too impressed.  Like Tahanoute, it’s right at the base of the High Atlas foothills, with a mountain stream running through it, a fertile valley and a traditional neighbourhood that climbs up the side of the hills.

I hike across the stream, wander the hillside neighborhoods… back into town where I find a spot on the hillside to parkbench at… I find a tagine joint and figure I’ll go ahead and have some lunch.

I strongly suspect that when folks talk about Ourika, they’re not talking about the town itself, but about the region… So let’s head on up the road to find out…

Eureka