0341. The Best Beach in Morocco (Mor 174--new)

Ben Younes Travel Blog

I get on another bus back up to Fnideq, determined to cram in a couple more towns in this area.  I ask around the grand taxi stations to see what other destinations are easily accessible.

I find a taxi heading to the village of Ben Younes—a town right on the other side of Ceuta, so I decide to check it out.  I have to be back in Casablanca tomorrow morning, but I still figure I should be able to tour a couple more towns.
But as the taxi climbs high along the mountain ridge and then suddenly turns down a rutted one lane road the winds down, down the mountainside, I start to wonder if I might be headed to a dead end where I’ll be stuck with no transportation back.

But I decide not to worry... the scenery is stunning—we’re headed right to the base of Mt. Moussa—the “other” Pillar of Hercules across from Gibraltar.  Although not quite as remarkable as Gibraltar, jutting straight out of the sea, it is still a piece of rugged majesty.

The taxi keeps winding down—I finally decide to get off so I can soak in the scenery much better on foot.  The village of Ben Younes doesn’t have much substance to it—but that doesn’t matter... here, it’s all about

the location.

And it’s not just the mountain.  Then there are the cliffs towering right above the houses... other cliffs over the sea... and a beautiful undiscovered little beach tucked into a little bay. It looks like I’ve discovered another of Morocco’s hidden gems.

In fact, Ben Younes might be my favorite beach of them all—just because nobody else seems to know about it.  Beach.  Cliffs.  Mountain—all in one place.  It’s perfect.

I play some music, walk around a bit and catch a ride back to Fnideq.

I try to take a picture along the way of a huge chunk of cliff that has broken away from the mountain—but it didn’t turn out too well...

Ben Younes