0329. Colonial Ghost Town (Mor 162--new)

Mechra Belqsiri Travel Blog

It’s a bit of a rough day—first of all, I after wandering around for over an hour, I still can’t find a taxi to Had Kourt, hopefully my next destination.  Finally I give up and head back to Souk El Arba for the fourth time!    After Ouezzane, Souk El Arba feels completely dead and I’m eager to get out of there as soon as possible.
The next town I could visit is Bel Ksiri of to the southeast—fortunately I soon find I taxi heading that way.

Bel Ksiri is another unusual town.  It’s a sort of colonial ghost town.   Divided boulevards overgrown with weeds… crumbling French villas and factories and businesses… I don’t know what it was, but clearly the French saw something they liked here in Bel Ksiri…

Much of the French area in partially abandoned…but then I reach the market area and the town pops back to life.  Today is also Market Day in Bel Ksiri, and inside the walled in market, business is hopping… I head across the tracks to the Moroccan neighbourhood… it’s fairly lively-not too rich and not too poor… Still a sizeable population here in Bel Ksiri.

I was about to take my clip on a park bench by an old French villa, when suddenly I realized that my camera was pointed right at a cop doing a traffic stop.  Camera + Moroccan cop doing a traffic stop = big trouble… so I quickly moved on to another location…

Mechra Belqsiri