0281. Not quite Magnificent (Mor 114—new)

Khenifra Travel Blog

After the interesting discoveries of Boujad, Kasba Tadla, and Zaouia, I was pretty excited about Khenifra.  After all, people talk about Khenifra with a reverent tone as the "magnificent city of the Middle Atlas Mountains".

Well, it turns out that it's located in a treeless plateau without any mountain peaks or snow in sight anywhere.  I mean, sure, it's an OK city, but it's just better not to go to a new city with high expections...

Khenifra is a sizeable, relatively modern town.  I found a hotel without difficulty figuring it'll take me at least the rest of the day to explore this place.  I first started by hiking to the north end of town where the house peter out into the hillside and I took a less than magnificent video clip there.

.. Explored the back alleyways a bit, then headed back into town--couldn't really find a "medina", but there is an interesting long, narrow market street to explore and a canal/river you can follow along...

Back in downtown, I spotted a very long dusty street in the opposite direction lined with shops for as far as the eye can see.  I figure I could hike to the end and then climb to the top of a ridge right next to it and hike back.  Did get some nice views of the green grassy hills stretching on into the horizon.

Back into town, I followed the Tadla highway to the edge of town and back again, finally satisfied that I had fully explored Khenifra and found a quiet place to strum into the sunset.

That night I headed out back into the market district to sample the Khenifra delicacies. Pretty decent pastries and "raibs" (yoghurt).

Overall, a quite pleasant, relaxing stay here... "magnificent" would not be a word I would use, though...

Khenifra