0263. The Beautiful Dakhla Bay (Mor 096--revisit)

Dakhla Travel Blog

Back in 2004, after an extremely arduous journey across Mauritania Dakhla felt like Paradise... I remember walking along the beautiful shore surrounded by delicious, cheap eateries wondering if I had just died and gone to heaven!

Well, this time my journey across the Sahara wasn’t nearly as arduous, so the effect isn’t quite the same.  But it’s still a very pleasant feeling to get her.

We arrive in the evening when everyone is out and about... walking along the bay... eating typical Moroccan fare and drinking coffee... It has a definite Moroccan feel--unlike El Ayoun which feels very much Saharawi...

There's a bus leaving for Agadir shortly--and I figure I'd better take it... a bit disappointed that I'll have to rush through this charming little city--but I was able to explore it on my last trip, so I shouldn't feel too bad.

I do manage to squeeze in a video clip, a walk on the bay and a couple of songs....

End of the Morocco to Gambia Episode

And so ends my lightning tour across the Sahara and back again.  There’s a great feeling of accomplishment for having been able to pull it off and quench my thirst for a completely different cultural experience.  But it did feel very rushed and I know I’m going to have to go back and explore the area some more.  It’s also a bittersweet feeling to know that, now that this stretched of road has been “tamed”, I’m never really going to be able to relive my 2004 experience.

End of Episode 01