0258. My mini-safari (Gam 04--new)

Lamin town Travel Blog

Brikama is the next sizeable town on the map. But when the minivan fare collector calls out "Lamin!" I figure I'll get on anyway...

Quite a small place, with long dirt roads passing shady little family family compounds... Many are walled in, but still able to get a glimpse inside.  It seems that rural Gambians prefer the tin roof over the traditional mud huts and thatch roofs still prevelant in Senegal... I wonder if it was during the colonial period that they started making that switch...

I head back to the main road and back west to the very edge... and then... what is that?  It's a Natural Park Reserve!
Now, seeing nature and wildlife is not my priority on this trip, but happening on a Nature Reserve in a two bit town like Lamin definitely demands visiting... So I payed a very reasonable fare and headed inside.  Here a wander the paths through thick jungle flora and past little lakes.  I do spot a couple up monkeys.

Not exactly the ultimate African Safari experience, but since I discovered it completely by accident, it is pretty cool.

I swear theres a monkey in there!
I swear there's a monkey in there!
Lamin town