The year they called me 'Ticher'

La Fortuna Travel Blog

Its wierd I went to Costa Rica with no expectations.  I basically had a strong desire to run away, just get the hell away from all the rat race of urban living. I was just so excited that I would have the opportunity to live in another country.  I have to admit I did not know much going in.  Just that it was a place where people go for adventure travel and the country motto is Pura Vida.  I learned it is just so more than that.  I went to volunteer at a school outside of La Fortuna, Zeta-Trece.  If you have been there its the little town on the way to the waterfall and before Volcano Arenal.  It was just incredible.  In this little town we dealt with all the issues you would deal with in the inner city.  It was a place most people in Fortuna didn't want to go to because of the large Nicaraguan immigrant population. Most of my students were Nicaraguans and it was very hard for me to deal with the discrimination, so frustrating.  I never thought I would encounter that.  Because of the sentiment we had a divided community.  When I left I felt weary of the state of the community.  I started off hoping I could make some great change, but unfortnately I couldn't stop worrying about this little place.  What will become of it?
La Fortuna