(Keys To) The Other Bible Belt

San Pedro La Laguna Travel Blog

(Keys To) The Other Bible Belt

Another day, another pastry orgy in my dreams. Through three months of traveling, I can recollect two dreams, both featuring casts of pies and cakes. Not Heidi Klum. Not Heidi Klum covered in pies and cakes. Just spreads of delights baked with love by aproned geriatrics.

Won't it be cute if I end up dating an Evangelical Church youth group president? Firmly infatuated with my Spanish instructor, my flirtations reciprocated in full, I'm now a devotee to Chapin courtship, passing evenings posted in the doorstep of my maestra's house, a doubletake worthy white oddity for the gawking and whispering enjoyment of passerbys.

This is territory with obstacles more daunting than any supposed divine wrath. Not a man of bastante patience, Evangelical principles demand a man of demasiado patience. Some cravings even pastries can't cure.

Ah, well, if the biggest stress in my life is wavering between practicing my corruptions on a 22-year-old angel or entertaining eager streetstalkers on the short path to motherhood, that's a damn fine life.

Don't worry, Mom, no "surprises" for Christmas.