30 below

Grand Forks Travel Blog

30 below F

Yep, that says it all.  I got back from warm, sunny Colorado on Wednesday and here it is Friday morning and -30 F !!!  Yeah, as in negative 30 degrees F, or -34 C (when its that cold, Celcius and Fahrenheit are almost the same).  I'm leaving home for an even colder place, brrr!!!  Its been awhile since I've been out in -30 F weather.  Fortunately it was already up to -26 F by the time I left ;)

Not long after I left town, I came to the Wisconsin/Minnesota state border which happens to be the St. Croix River.  Due to the warm(ish) water and extremely cold air temp, a nice fog had formed over the open water and then froze on the tree branches lining the river.  I tried taking some pics as I drove, but they aren't very good.  Don't worry - it was too cold for most people to be out driving anyway.

Much later on, about 2 hours from my final destination of Grand Forks, I hit the prairie.  This means very few trees and lots of wind.  I had almost 2 hours straight of driving with blowing snow.  Fun fun.  At least the roads weren't too bad because the snow didn't stick to the road.

row-zzzzz says:
Finishing up my 2 last credits for my degree, don't ask when I returned LOL ... much later than you ... even so I will do it like you and by this April 2007 I will apply for my teaching degree; great, another 2 more yrs ... but the future for us with our degrees can lead us to flying my frequently in the long-run :)
Lord_Mike says:
Congrats on your feature today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sinaasje says:
good luck with the degree!
Grand Forks