The City of Golden Friendship

Cagayan de Oro Travel Blog

Ambot asa ni basta dapit ni sa bukid padulong sa lumbia

It was July 2007, 2 weeks after my short stint working in China, when my latest work brought me to Cagayan de Oro City.  Just off from Lumbia Airport, I immediately proceeded to my new office located in Gaston Park.  The location was a typical old center on commerce in the Spanish times.  Beside the Park lies San Agustin Cathedral, home on the city’s Patron saint.  Across the park is the seat of CDO’s government.  In 19th century, the park was a military sentry and was said to be a prison yard during the Japanese occupation in 1940’s.

From my office window, I could see the park main attraction – a fountain that reaches up to 10 meters high towards the sky.  Every morning as the sun kisses the day, the fountain never failed to form a rainbow – a sight I consider an endearment.

Every Sunday the park is crowded with people mostly young who veered away from the malls and movie houses.  For me, it’s quite a record to see people crowding in this old fashioned leisure area, considering that malling is Filipino’s modern way of life. I saw groups of young men and women, children and of course lovers who are exchanging sweet nothings and affection.  In more a year of my stay here, this sight continues to amaze me.

In between my frequent trips in Mindanao, I live in Divisoria – a city landmark.  I rented a fad just beside the Xavier University Gym.  My place is not very homey but the proximity to my office and to the city’s most important center made it very practical for me to take this place.

Home to the weekend night café, divisoria is also a place for those to want to find comfort and solace to a weary feet – yes, literally.  Every night, masseuse and masseurs are taking their respective positions and offered reflexology, thai and traditional massage to it’s patron.  I met, Lolong, one of the best masseurs in Divisoria.  With expert hands, He massaged the soles of my feet with precision, putting pressure to the areas that connects to the body’s senses.  A 30-minute session costs about P50.00, an hour session costs about P100.00.  If one wishes to engage in home service, it would cost P200 – P300 per session. (to be continued)

There’s still so much to tell and I’ll share it in my next blog!

Ambot asa ni basta dapit ni sa buk…
Ambot asa ni basta dapit ni sa bu…