Zebu market

Antsirabe Travel Blog

Ssst

Woke up a little but later, but still at 07:00u. Sabine was still asleep, so I went as silent as I can be to the shower. Took my camera and the postcards and went into the city. Although there was activity on the streets, still, in comparison with the weekday overday, it was delightfull calm. After getting rid off the pousse-pousse people, I strolled through Antsirabe. Trying to make some photo's while I was checking out the post office. As I could have known, it was closed. I met the first dude who answered my question without wanting money for that, what a relief. So bad luck, post office will be open at monday. Mmmm, monday we will be in Andasibe and than the mail will take even longer.

Let's think about that.

Returning to Hassina, Sabine and I went to Marina to have breakfast. It was much better than Hassina. After that, after struggling through the crowd, we reached Ny, who was gonna bring us to the Zebu market.

The Zebu market was on the other side off the hill, taking the car on a little Camel Trophy trip, passing some NGO stations, like Ronald McDonald children shelter house something. After 45 minutes we reached it and it was spectacular. This is what I like. Just a market for live-stock. Seeing all these men bargaining and socialising. It also serves as a meeting for all the peasants in the surrounding area. Just checking it out for more or less an hour, we went back to the city. Ny wanted to show us the weekly ordinary market.

So, there we arrived.

pigs, rare species
I can fill these whole space with extraordinary things we saw, hear and smelled. I won't, but (and I don't give here a westernview judgement) I can image how a medieval market must have been in western Europe. We walked on narrow paths between all little markets made off wood or metal. Sometimes you had to duck for some collapsed roof. The path was sandy and were there was liquid, it was muddy. People were showing there stuff, buying, eating, talking and walking. It was a great maze with thousands of people doing everything. We kept a good eye on our driver, because if we lost him, we would be lost for sure. After a good hour of amazements we were on the other side of the market. We were to impressed to even think about buying some stuff.

After a little walk, denying all those beggars, pousse-pousse men and other sellsmen, we finally got the hotel. We were mentally exhausted and we did not know what to do. And... It started to rain again. So, we said to Ny: Drive us to the supermarket (yes, we are spoiled) and take us back to the hotel and the rest of the day, you don't have to do anything. We bought beer, cookies, yoghurt, chips and some mango's and locked ourselves up in the room. The rest of the day, we drank and eat very unhealthy and got to bed early. I made the agreement with Sabine that I will eat my shoes if we don't see any lemurs this trip. We were tired of this town. Let's hope tomorrow the environment will change.

pigs, rare species
good preparation for the rest of t…
good preparation for the rest of …
Yes, yes people live here