A night in Singapore before heading off to Bali

Singapore Travel Blog

Well after the worst nights sleep and waking up every hour and the kind neighbours slamming the door and deciding to have the TV on really loud – so much for a quiet place by the hotel. Was up at 6.30 and everything was pretty much packed so just had to get showered. Said my goodbyes to Lucy as she wasn’t leaving till the afternoon. As I was early went and sat in the restaurant and checked emails and waited for Simon (the guy who ran the place) to turn up. The prospect of going alone for the first time since the beginning was both exciting and daunting so wasn’t really up for breakfast so just picked at some fruit.

We got to the airport in about 2 minutes, round the roundabout and we were there. Tried to check in using the computer check in – would it work for me?? No, things like that to make it easier never work for me! Got myself a Burger King, I’d picked my appetite up once I’d got checked in. I went to duty free and saw a bag that I could use for hand luggage. When I look back at what I spent my money on over the duration of this trip it does make me wonder how I lasted as long as I did! This won’t be happening the next time – I am going to be on a strict budget!! Walked over to the boarding gate and must have lost track of time as everybody was already queuing to get on the bus to take us to the plane. I got a window seat which what quite nice and sat next to a German couple who were quite chatty.

Arrived in Singapore about 12.25 and was a bit stuck as to whether to stay at the airport or not or whether to go and find somewhere to stay. I ended up finding a girl from Scotland who hadn’t arranged any accommodation either so we set off together and went to the MRT. I actually knew more than I thought I did after the research I had done on Singapore. We went to the MRT which is the Singapore version of the London tube. I think it was $2.80 and we ended up going to Chinatown  as I’d heard it mentioned a couple of times on Hostelbookers. Got on to the train and had to change twice, thankfully looked at a map as we nearly went all the way to the end. Rolled up at 2 really posh places which were incredibly expensive for a night so I ended up looking after the bags while Louise went off to find somewhere to stay and she came back with success.

It was a proper backpacker place, a dorm which I wasn’t quite used to as in Thailand we pretty much had our own room all the time. Shared toilet, shower and everything. The room they put us in had 2 top bunks free so we both ended up collapsing as we were both so tired. We Once we both woke up we went into one of the big shopping centres, bought some food and just had a look round. I do recall going into quite a posh shop with loads of handbags which were way out of price range. We went back to the room for about 10 and I tried to sort out my bag to make it a bit lighter and more organised. Then tried to get an early night.