Hoi An

Hoi An Travel Blog

After the horror show that was Quy Nhon we were ready for some excitement! Got a taxi back to the station and arrived in Hoi An mid afternoon, the journey was only a couple of hours. We had one thing on our mind: Dorms! We left our bags in Sinh Cafe and checked out the hostels listed in our Lonely Planet - as usual they were all full and only had single, double or triple rooms. We tracked about 2km to the hotel listed that claimed to have a dorm room, Greenfields Hotel, but when we got there we were vastly disappointed! The "dorm room" was in a room that used to be the hotel's sauna, so you can imagine how hot it was, and it was covered in mirrors. A bit freaky if you ask me. By this point we were so tired we decided to just go with Greenfields, even though it wasn't the cleanest/cheapest/or had the best location of all the hostels we had looked at. We went back to get our bags, thankfully the cafe was still open, or that could have been embarrassing. When we got back I found a collection of dead flies in my bed and Kat saw a cockroach in the bathroom - excellent.

We saw Sara and Eze from Nha Trang again randomly, but it is such a small place that it wasn't surprising. The next day we had a wander around the Old Town of Hoi An - it's main tourist attraction. It reminded me a bit of Disney Land. When you get there you buy a ticket which lets you into about four attractions - you can see one of the old houses, one temple, one cultural performance and one "other".  The old houses are a tourist affair, when we went in one we were shown around a variety of gift shops without learning much about the house itself. Even though the old town claims to be authentic, and all the buildings are of the period - it seems like hardly anyone lives there. Every other building is a gift shop, a tailors, or a cafe aimed at tourists - it's quite sad in a way. There is an authentic working market which is interesting to look around if you can avoid the motorbikes that treat it like a main road.

We got some clothes made in Hoi An as well, because that is what Hoi An is famous for! For around $25 dollars I chose the cut and the material of my skirt and got it made in the space of two days at a tailors called Yaly. Kat also got a dress made. They were really professional and it was good value for money.

We also mananged to meet up with Nolawi, Eze and Sarah again for an evening. There was one bar that we went to that served free rum and coke between 10pm and 11pm. The Bar man then started getting really annoyed that no one was buying any drinks, but what could he expect!

Hoi An is really nice, but there's not much to do in the city itself, but there are good day trips to do if you have time. We wanted to plow on as we want to go to both Sapa and Halong Bay in the space of the week, at opposite ends North Vietnam!

Hoi An