Day 2

Lahaina Travel Blog

Day 2:

Brian took the day off today, and we decided to look around town. He took me to the beach he works at, which is one of the nicest beaches on the island. They are in the process of building condos that cost 10 million dollars a piece (you read that right, 10 million!). To the contractor's dismay, they found bones on the beach. Turns out it's an old burial ground, and construction was halted so the archaeologists could do their thing.

We went and looked at some of the other beaches, and then drove out to this place called the blow hole.

Wild fowl
We had to hike down some rocks to get there, and it was pretty cool because no one else wanted to hike down. Part of the time there were two other ladies there, and the rest of the time we were the only ones. The blow hole is just a hole in the ground, and when the waves come in, it shoots the water up into the air. It made a really cool noise, and the water shot up pretty high. At one point, it shot up REALLY high and completely soaked one of the ladies. There were little pools of water around with fish and crabs in them, and we saw a whale and a sea turtle out on the ocean.

After we left the blow hole, we decided to just take the highway the rest of the way around, and come back to Brian's by making a big circle.

Putting my feet in the ocean
We had no idea what we were getting into. We stopped a lot to take pictures, because there were beautiful views. There were tons of wild roosters around, sometimes crossing the road in big grounps. The crazy part, though, was the road itself. After not too long, it turned into a windy, one lane road. We kept having to try and pull off to the side to let other cars by, and at one point I was maneuvering around with another car for about 5 minutes before I was able to get past him. I had been thinking about taking a tour to Hana later this week, but Brian told me that if I was able to drive that road, I would have no problem with Hana. The road went on like that for about 10 or 12 miles. About halfway through, we stopped at this little place on the side of the road in a tiny town. It was, according to this insider guide book we had, the “best banana bread in the world.” The place was called Julie's. We sampled and bought some banana bread as well as some taro chips, and I'd have to say, they were pretty darn tasty! The trip around took a lot longer than expected, because we were never going more than 10 or 15 miles an hour, so when we finally made it around, we went back to Brian's. We barbequed steaks and salmon for dinner with his roommates,and drank some Guinness in honor of St. Patty's Day. I have a picture of the Guinness on the table out back, with the ocean in the background. I'll have to post it later. Once again, it was a pretty great day.

Being a model