wandering a beautiful city

Christchurch Travel Blog

So I know I have skipped a day or so but I will include all the good stuff that happened. First I drove into christchurch to find out where the hostel and car rental office were for the next day.  After I found my bearings and knew where I was and where I had to be it was time to get lost. So of course I did just that. Seeing some interesting parts of the city. I saw where they were building a new stadium outside of the city. It looks massive and should be very nice when its completed. Having enough of the city I headed off for akaroa. The drive out to it was beautiful. Through the rolling hills were fun twisty roads. Made it to akaroa and wandered around a bit. They had some cool art gallaries and street sculptures. The bay itself was nice too.
I had myself a blt and got back on the road. I camped out in a caravan park somewhere outside of christchurch so i could wake up in the morning and head in to drop off the car and check out the city.

I woke up a bit late but still made it to avis in time. I dropped off the car and again i was carrying all of my posessions. I walked about a mile to the hostel and dropped off my stuff. It was still too early to check in so i stuffed everything except my cameras into a locker and i was off. I went to the central square where there is a large church. This city is full of very old and beautiful buildings. I went into the church and admired the stained glass and wooden sculptures. They also had a cool street market near the church that i did some shopping at.
I had to get some cool souvenirs. I found an aquarium that also had some kiwi's. So i went into it. It was my first time seeing a real kiwi. They are kind of odd looking but they are cool creatures.

I kept walking and found a park that had some sort of chinese new year going on. They had all kinds of cool lanterns set up. There was a creek going around it and every so often a venice style boat would cruise past with a guy standing on the back pushing it around with a stick. Pretty cool, they seemed extra busy as it was valentines day. I found a very old university of some sort that they were now using as an art center. They had cool stuff in all the building. Each building had a different theme, and there was live music in some of the courtyards.

Knowing that I had to be up at 2:30am the next morning to make my 5:30 flight I headed back to the hostel to get some rest.
photo by: Fulla