another day of dreams coming true

New Zealand Travel Blog

I didn’t get much good sleep last night. My dreams were running wild with the thoughts of all the things I had just experienced. Despite this I woke up full of energy and ready to rock and roll.  I left the caravan park in Inglewood and headed for the giant mountain resembling mt taranaki. This morning offered even better lighting and clear skies… great for photos of the beautiful mountain. I stopped several times in different spots trying to get the perfect shot. At one point I had just finished filiming when a police car drove by. It slowed down to check me out, the cop saw my tripod, smiled, waved, and went on his way. Pretty cool, for a second I thought he would stop to ask me what I was doing. I continued up the hill, the scenery quickly changes from farm land to thick forest. I made it up as far as the road went and found a trail head. Unfortunately I was not prepared to hike it but I found out you could. Four hours each way, now I have a reason to come back here. (like I needed one)

I did wander around on some of the shorter trails and made my way to dawson falls. A beautiful waterfall, It was probably about 100 ft tall and the water very gently as it poured over the edges. Good thing I brought the tripod. I set a ten second delay on the camera and ran in front of the waterfall to get a photo with me in front… it gives it a little bit of scale but definitely does not do it justice. I hiked back out and headed back down the hill.

I cuised along the coast and made my way to a surf town called Opunake. I had to stop and use the internet as I had no service for my mobile broadband card. I was able to update my blogs and more importantly apply for my renewal visa in Australia. From Opunake I kept going along the coast stopping occasionally for some exercise and of course photos and video.  Nothing else too adventurous happened today but I definitely enjoyed myself exploring the various villages and cities. One of the best things about driving here is the landscape is constantly changing. The further south I go the more it feels like new Zealand should. Or at least my idea of what it should look and feel like.

So whats for tomorrow? Sky diving, hiking, kayaking, jet boating, hmmm I will have to sleep on it.

keef_mon says:
fuji f50fd and sony hdr-sr7
hdao74 says:
What camera are you using?
TRE69 says:
You forgot bungy jumping!
the road up mt taranaki