Land of the long white cloud

Auckland Travel Blog

Well today was a smooth beginning to my adventure. Since I was staying at jacs moms in the sunshine coast I had to leave at 2:30am to make my 5 am flight in brisbane. After three hours sleep I pryed my eye lids open and loaded up the car. I made it to the airport at 4. By the time I checked in and went through security they had begun boarding. I waited for 15 minutes and hopped on the plane.

One benefit to leaving so damn early in the morning was seeing the sunrise from the plane. I took a few nice sunrise photos and then tried to get some sleep. I landed in Sydney and had to transfer to the international terminal I waited and went through security again. This time I was selected for a random search… woohoo. They wiped this cloth all over my hands and clothing and put it on a machine. After a few minutes I was on my way.

After a three hour flight I was finally in New Zealand. Jac let me borrow a tent for my trip so of course I declared it. They took my tent at “biosecurity” to sterilize it. This took another hour. I hopped on a bus from the airport and made it to downtown aukland. Luckily time was on my side here. It doesn’t get dark until close to 9 so this left me a few hours to wander and take photos. I grabbed a beer and pizza and headed back to the hostel for a shower and some sleep. I met my other two roomies and then we left immediately to go to another pub.

I do have to follow up on what I said about not being excited about coming here. As soon as I got on the bus heading towards aukland a sense of extreme inner peace or pleasure.. (whatever you want to call it) came over me. Its similar to the feeling I get when I have goosebumps.

My first impressions of this country are nothing but positive. Aukland is definitely a city but far different from say Sydney. People here seem very real and don’t have the arrogant stuck up factor.  Tomorrow morning I pick up my hire car and then I am off on my real adventure. My thoughts at this moment are that I must sky dive… scuba dive of course, and I am going spelunking!  I am headed to waitomo caves where I am going to see some glow worms.  I suppose this is enough for tonight, I am sticking to my promise and trying to fill everyone in. I hope your enjoying it J

TRE69 says:
A similar thing happened to me too...they wiped down my test for explosive residues.

I am sooo jealous...going to New Zealand is my dream!
Posted on: Feb 12, 2009
JeAr says:
oh... that makes sense now that u mentioned it :D
Posted on: Feb 08, 2009
keef_mon says:
i think it was testing me for traces of explosives or drugs?
Posted on: Feb 06, 2009