Cramming It In

New Zealand Travel Blog

I did so much today I am not really sure where to start, and to be honest I had to look at all of my photos to remember the names of the places went. I stayed in Murchison last night and woke up to rain. I packed up and headed fot Westport. Stopping somewhere along the coast where to use the bathroom, but I found an awesome trail. It took me about an hour to do the loop but the scenery was cool. There was lots of kelp that washed up on the shore, reminded me of Monterey. I also saw a few sea lions playing of the shore.

After Westport I continued south heading for greymouth. I found a cool area called pancake rocks and blow hole. Basically the same place. The blowhole was in the pancake rocks. They call it pancake rocks because of the way the rocks are layered. Not sure how it happened but  it was pretty cool to see. I spent a while there until I was convinced I saw everything.

I kept on cruising, made it to Franz Joseph glacier. WOW… my first glacier. It wasn’t that big but still very cool. I asked around and found the trail the guided tours use to get onto the glacier. I made it all the way up to it and actually touched it… brrrr.  The guided groups were actually climbing on it and I wanted to but didn’t have the gear so I was content to be there and take it all in. It is pretty wild seeing how it carves out the land. It left a trail of flat round rocks in its path. It was also surrounded by little waterfalls.  After seeing the glacier I hiked back to the car… about an hour walk. Then I decided to check out the town close to the glacier. They had an indoor ice climbing gym. I checked it out, and while the idea was cool, it didn’t look too appealing.

Back on the road, I drove another 30 minutes to the base of another glacier. Fox glacier.  This one was much larger and didn’t have as many people around it, and no one was climbing it. There was a very large opening at the base of it where the river poured out. This glacier was more of what I thought it should look like.

Further south I passed several cool lakes. I made it back to the coastline just as the sun was setting to get some awesome pics. The colors here are so intense, it doesn’t look real. Some of the locals told me the sunsets are usually not that spectacular and they were better recently due to the fires in Victoria (Australia) I guess the smoke drifted this way, it sure helped make some good photos.

So here I sit in Haast. I wanted to wait to go over the pass until I have good light. It is supposed to beautiful. So all of my readers and myself have some good photos to look forward to taking and seeing.  I don’t really feel rushed but I do wish I had more time here. I do feel like I am making the most out of my time. I am sure I have already seen more in the past five days than many see over a two or three week period.  Oh! One more thing before I go. After I cross the pass tomorrow I will be in Wanaka. Time for skydiving! That will give me something to dream about tonight.  :)

shirlan says:
The pancake rocks (punakaiki) are awesome
Posted on: Feb 12, 2009
keef_mon says:
Hey thanks! Glad you enjoy it. I try to write my blogs as if i were telling my story directly to the reader. You must come out here at some point, the land is beautiful and the people are great.
Posted on: Feb 11, 2009
ejames01 says:
Very nice blog!! You write very well. Looking forward to your photos. New Zealand is one of the places I want to visit. Such a long flight from the states.
Happy Travels, Ed
Posted on: Feb 11, 2009
pancake rocks
it says the glacier is growing... …
it says the glacier is growing...…
interesting moss