Places to dine on board, and ship features

Melbourne Travel Blog

• Lounges (several)
  • Patisserie
  • Steak House
  • Bars (several)
  • Horizon Court (24-hour buffet)
  • Terrace Grill
  • Ice cream outlet.

Food on board turned out to be real value for money since almost all of it was free (there was a 20 AUD fee for the Steak House – where we ate one night – and boy was it worth it… best 20 AUD ever spent)!

Like I said earlier, dinner was a four-course meal every night served by wait staff, and the buffet was open 24 hours. As if that’s not enough, they also offered free room service 24 hours.

The quality of the food was outstanding too. And they cater for special dietary requirements. My doctor has me on a gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free diet (that’s horrendously simplified, but you get the gist of it) and I still ate like a queen.

Lotus Spa

Cruising isn’t one of those holidays where you’re constantly worried about your body odour and showering is a rare treat. With a spa onboard, it’s quite the opposite. The Spa on the Sun Princess was called Lotus Spa, and offered all sorts of massages, bathing and beauty rituals. You have to pay for them, though.

I never do anything like this so I thought I would try something out – you know, to get the whole cruise ship experience! For 32 AUD I signed up for something called the Frangipani Hair Ritual. My hair was rubbed with Monoi Oil and I got a head, neck, shoulder and arm massage. It was really relaxing! And my hair smelled nice for days.

Ship features

The atrium had the following features:

• shops
  • glass lifts
  • grand pianos
  • sweeping staircases
  • portrait photo studios.

The following entertainment venues were onboard:

• Princess Theatre
  • Vista Show Lounge
  • Poolside stage
  • Atrium
  • Casino.

The following sports venues were onboard:

• Gym
  • Basketball/tennis court
  • Pool (with nets set up for water volleyball).

The following activities took place onboard:

• Lectures (by the Third Officer of the Watch and an award-winning physics lecturer)
  • Basketball shootouts
  • Trivia
  • Seminars (on gemstones, pearls, horsemanship, etc)
  • Daily Sudoku and quiz
  • Art auctions
  • Pictionary, Scattegories, and more.
Chelsea says:
Oh, how wonderful! I hope you have a good time. New Caledonia is a stunning part of the world. Glad you found the blog interesting! Have fun! :)
Posted on: Jul 23, 2009
glennisnz says:
So glad I spotted your blog, we leave tomorrow on a similar cruise but from Auckland, I read with interest all your advice, sounds wonderful, can hardly wait.
Posted on: Jul 22, 2009