Horse riding in Vanuatu

Port Vila Travel Blog

Horse ride at Club Hippique

It rained for the first time today. We had just mounted our horses at Club Hippique when the rain came down in bucket loads. My shoes filled with rain water quickly, and everyone was drenched to the bone in tropical downpour.

Actually, in the heat, the rain was quite refreshing. And I found out that my camera bag is waterproof. (It was a rather stressful way of finding out, though.)

I rode a small horse called Wanita. She was a pleasure to ride. She was a bit slow to get going, but once she figured out I’d ridden horses before, she basically did whatever I asked of her. For the next hour or so, we winded through a palm plantation and rainforest, stopping once at a lookout point. When we returned to the bar at Club Hippique, we dismounted, removed the saddles and lead our horses to a lagoon, where we swim with them bareback. The water was lukewarm.

Still soggy, we squashed into some minibuses that shuttled us back to the dock.

On the way back to the ship, we peered out of the minibus windows and watched Vanuatu whoosh past. To my eyes Vanuatu looked quite different to New Caledonia. It looked like it had a bit more “jungle”; the vegetation seemed different and much denser. And the water in Vanuatu was the clearest I’d ever seen - it was clear in New Caledonia, but in Vanuatu, just by peering over the pier, I could see rocks and sea urchins on sea floor in great detail; and the sea floor was at a decent depth! It was incredible, and I sorely wished I’d organised a snorkelling tour.

We would have had time for a snorkelling or diving tour that afternoon, but since we hadn’t organised one (and it was too late, apparently), we decided to visit the market at the pier that I suspect had been set up for the ship’s passengers especially. Even though we were told the cheapest souvenirs would be in Port Vila, they were still pretty expensive. But, considering we hadn’t bought anything else yet, Al and I decided we should get something. I bought a fish mobile, and Al bought a wooden boat. The boat has a sail and mast that can be lowered, but Al didn’t read the instructions displayed at the stall, so he still hasn’t figured out to re-attach the mast! If anyone reading this happens to have bought a similar boat and did read the instructions, I would love to hear from you!

geokid says:
Nice blog!! Thanks for the posting.
Posted on: Feb 26, 2009