Why cruise?

Melbourne Travel Blog

Leaving Port Melbourne

I’m neither old nor fat (at the time of writing), so you might wonder why I chose to cruise. (I might get into trouble for saying that, but let’s be honest; it’s true, with some exceptions…)

Believe it or not, cruising turned out to be the cheapest way to see the South Pacific. At 60% off, our tickets had as paying just over 100 AUD a day. Expensive, you say? Well no, not if you take into account the lack of air fares, and that 100 AUD covers travel, accommodation, food and service.

And everything was top quality. I’d never felt so pampered in my life. Waiters catered for my every whim and a room steward cleaned my room twice a day. And if I was too lazy to go to dinner, room service was free.

The cruise ship kitchen definitely didn’t skimp on food either. Dinner was a four-course meal every night, and if we were still peckish after that, there was a 24-hour buffet available upstairs.

I think we got a good deal – I heard that a hotel room on the Isle of Pines (one of the islands we visited) costs 800 USD a night, and that doesn’t include food or travel.

I know; I’ve heard the “culture over luxury” argument – and I agree with it. But I’ve been sick for the last year and a half, so backpacking through South America wasn’t on the cards. Besides, I don’t always travel in such style, so it was a new experience nonetheless.

aushomebase says:
Hi Chelsea, I'm from Melb too and don't care about conventions of 'culture over luxury'. Sounds like the cruise for me. How did you find it? (hmm Fat? No, Old? Probably, compared to many TBs).
Posted on: Feb 26, 2011
Tribe4me says:
interesting :)
Posted on: Sep 19, 2010
shasya says:
Why not? Hope you will post more pics :)
Posted on: Sep 19, 2010