Visiting the city

Berlin Travel Blog

We woke up all stressed out, we wanted to see everything in one day! First thing we wanted to do was to have breakfast on top of the Television tower (Fernsehturm). We got there at 9am but the place did not open till 10. Next to it we found a Starbucks so we had breakfast there. There was nobody in the streets, what a nice thing is to travel in weekdays.

The Television Tower was built in 1969 and was 368 metres high, becoming a landmark in the city. The ticket to go up turned out to be 10 euros each which is worth every penny! ☺ The views over the city were amazing and helped us locate many of the places we wanted to visit. Going up some stairs you access the restaurant which rotates 360 degrees every 30 minutes. And if you have a couple of drinks can even get better! Hehehh (review attached).
First mission acomplished!

If you cross the square you come across a beautiful fountain (Neptunbrunnen) and the oldest church in the city (Marienkirche). Once you get to the river Spree, you cross the bridge and there you find Berlin’s Cathedral (Berliner Dom). I am not very fond of churches and cathedrals, but this one was just spectacular. I took tons of photos (some attached to this entry). We didn´t go in but it cost 5 euros and was open from 9-17h. Right next to it you find the old parliament (Palast der Republik). And a couple of minutes later you get to the Museum Island (Museuminsel). We just walked around and stopped in a coffe place called “Café Pergamon” for an Irish Coffee (I know, I know, you think we are crazy people drinking alcohol since 10.
30 but the truth of the matter is that it was freaking cold ☺).

From Museuminsel to Brandenburg Gate (Brandenburger Tor) you walk along Unter den Linden. By the 19th century, as Berlin grew this avenue 1.5km long became the best-known and grandest street in Berlin. There you will find consulates, souvenir stores, luxury car dealerships and several restaurants and cafeterias. It is then when I got my new patch! (I collect a path from every city I visit). Remember what happened with Michael Jackson in a popular city in Berlin? Well, it happened right in this street, it was in Adler Hotel, where all stars and important people stay in the city.

Once we got to the Brandernburg Gate we turned right and we walked towards the Parliament (Reichstag).
They open from 8-22hours and you must visit the Reichstag dome. It is an iconic glass dome constructed on top of the building designed by architect Norman Foster built to symbolize the reunification of Germany. It is quite annoying to stay in line for more than an hour, but there is no other way. We went there in January, so I guess that as the summer comes, there will be even more people waiting to go in. The average waiting time in the summer is 2 hours! Anyhow, we waited and it was worthwile! Right before you go to the top, ask for the “Dachgarten Restaurant”. It is right there, but it is not very well indicated (review attached). Even if you are not planning to eat or drink, just go in to enjoy the city views!

Once we finished our visit we headed to Potsdamer Platz, and on the way we stopped at the Holocaust Memorial.
Actually this monument has been criticized for only commemorating the Jewish victims… Right there we found a place to have the very well known “Currywurst” ☺ Although we don´t eat much meat, we just had to try it! (3 euros) :) and I must say they were quite tasty!

Potsdamer Platz had become the center of the city just before the II World War. There you found plenty of cafeterias, stores, theatres and restaurants. During the war it was totally destroyed and when it was finished they built the the Berlin Wall (160km). The Berlin Wall was a physical barrier separating West Berlin from the German Democratic Republic (GDR) (East Germany). After the fall of the Wall in november 1989, this area reflourished and recovered its role in the city. There you find beautiful and very modern buildings, such as Daimler-Chrysler offices and the Sony Center.
You also find some rests of the Wall.

From there we headed to Checkpoint Charlie, one of Berlin´s primary tourist attractions. It was the crossing point between East Berlin and West Berlin during the Cold War. As it was very cold we decided to look for a restaurant along Unter den Linden. On our way we found rests of the walls in many other places. We ended up in Vapiano, a very good choice if you ask me…  (review attached).

Chuss!! (I have no idea how you spell it ☺)

Berlin Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Beatiful restaurant with views over Berlin
If you go to visit the Reichstag, before going up to the top, you will find a beautiful restaurant with stunning views of the city. We just went there… read entire review
Berlin Sights & Attractions review
Incredible views over the city
The Berlin Television Tower was built in 1969 and since then is become one of the most popular sport for taking photos.I would recommend you to start … read entire review
Berlin Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Original Italian Restaurant
We walked for almost 12 hours and we were not in the mood to start looking for restaurants, so on the way back to the hotel along Unter den Linden we … read entire review